French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. Like traditional French onion soup but ready in a fraction of the time, this soup is loaded with rich broth and onions, ladled into bowls, topped with thick slices of French bread and Swiss cheese, then broiled until cheese is bubbling. Add onions and continually stir until tender. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add beef broth, consomme, and Woschershire sauce. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary, and pepper. Grate the cheese and put it in the refrigerator in a small bowl. You can have French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- You need 6 of large and sweet onions.
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- It’s 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- Prepare 12 slices of baguette bread.
- You need 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- Prepare 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Get out your oven-safe bowls and set them on a cookie sheet. Evenly slice the onions into slices, and then cut the. Add the caramelized onion and shallots and add the leeks and top with the stocks. Stir in onions to coat with butter.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup instructions
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
Add the hot soup to the bowls and lay the croutons on top. Place under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese bubbles, browns and forms a thick crust. Eat carefully the soup will be very hot. Cooks Note: One of the most unpleasant tasks associated with French Onion soup is chopping the mounds of onions required. Pour the soup into four oven-proof French Onion Soup bowls, Once the soup and croutons are ready to go, put one crouton on top of the soup.