"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe. Remove beef to a plate and set stew over medium heat. Add bell peppers, poblanos, smoked paprika, capers, olives, and sugar. Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
Remove meat from heat and reserve broth. Once meat has cooled down, shred and reserve. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. You can have "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe
- Prepare 2 lb of beef flank steak (pre-cooked in the stew or soup).
- It’s 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 of onion, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of green belt pepper, seeded and slice into strips.
- It’s 1 can of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 of bay leave.
- You need 1 cup of white dry wine.
For our ropa vieja recipe we're also adding an array of other classic Cuban and Spanish ingredients such as olives, pimientos and capers. In addition to the red bell pepper that's caramelized with the onions, we're also going to add roasted red bell pepper in the end for added smokiness, sweetness and flavor. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently and. Ropa vieja is a popular dish of the Canary Islands and Cuba.
"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe instructions
- Separate the meat into thin shreads or strands.
- Crush the garlic cloves and saute in the hot oil with the onion..
- add the green pepper and saute a little bit together..
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let it cooked in slow temperature, stirring ocasionally. for about 15 or 20 minutes..
- To serve with white rice and a good fresh salad..
The original recipe consists of a dish made with leftovers from the cocido (or cozido). It is a traditional stew eaten as a main dish in Spain, Portugal, Brazil and other latin countries. In the Americas, it is a shredded flank, brisket, or skirt steak in a tomato sauce base. Sauté onions, garlic and green pepper in oil in the same pan you cooked the meat in until limp. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, cumin, red wine and bay leaf.