Traditional Bakewell Pudding. One of the easiest ways to differentiate is a Bakewell pudding is made with puff pastry and the Bakewell tart, shortcrust. Bakewell is in the picturesque Peak District of Derbyshire. Bakewell pudding is the delicious (and far superior in my opinion) predecessor of the Bakewell tart.
However, what made Bakewell pudding so different was the addition of crushed almonds. Bakewell puddings are a traditional dessert made from a pastry base with a layer of jam (usually strawberry) topped with a filling of egg and almond paste. © Warofdreams / Wikimedia How were Bakewell puddings invented? You can cook Traditional Bakewell Pudding using 6 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Traditional Bakewell Pudding
- Prepare of eggs.
- It’s of caster sugar.
- It’s of ground almonds.
- It’s of puff pastry.
- You need of raspberry jam/jelly/preserve.
- Prepare of butter.
The pudding, on the other hand, is made up of a puff pastry shell with a layer of jam, covered with a filling of eggs, sugar, butter and almond flavoured icing. To confuse matters even further, there is also a Cherry Bakewell, a small cake covered with a top layer of icing and a single central half-cherry. Traditional Bakewell Pudding Recipe Bakewell pudding is an English dessert consisting of a flaky pastry base with a layer of sieved jam and topped with a filling made of egg and almond paste. Bakewell Pudding is the proper name for what is often called Bakewell Tart.
Traditional Bakewell Pudding step by step
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6..
- Roll out puff pastry and line two 8 inch tins with it..
- Spread the raspberry jam over the bottom of the pastry so it makes an even layer..
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat until it becomes liquid. Leave to cool but not set..
- Beat the eggs in a bowl until they are light in colour but not too frothy..
- When the butter is cooled, add to the eggs. Mix in but don't beat. If the butter is too warm the eggs will start to cook..
- Stir in the ground almonds and sugar to the egg/butter mixture..
- Pour into the puff pastry in the tins..
- Bake for ten minutes on Gas 6. Then turn down to gas 3 for a further 25 minutes..
There are variations on the story, but one of our favourites is the account of Mrs Greaves, the landlady, who had left instructions for her cook to make a jam tart at the request of visiting noblemen. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface to form a circle a few inches larger than the tart. We are proud to be contributing to the preservation of Bakewell's legacy by continuing to manufacture this special dessert. Our skilled bakers still create our Great Taste award-winning Bakewell Puddings by hand using the only verified original recipe. Our pasties, scones, tea cakes, sweet bread, gluten free treats and other pastries are baked to golden.