Southern green beans. Garden At Home With Sarah Raven, Wide Range of Products Available Online Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! We often value green beans for their fresh crunch, but in the American Deep South, slow cooked green beans are a staple side dish through the summer months, where they're braised down with plenty of bacon, garlic, onion and potatoes – definitely one to try out with your next roast dinner.
I'll tell you a secret: I prefer my Garlic Roasted Green Beans, but my family loves these old-fashioned Southern green beans, cooked to death and full of fat. Stir in the cooked bacon, green beans, potatoes, garlic, and chicken broth. How to make Southern Style Green Beans. You can have Southern green beans using 8 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Southern green beans
- You need 1 lb of Green beans.
- Prepare 6 pieces of bacon.
- It’s 1 of small can mushrooms.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- You need to taste of Fresh ground pepper.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Garlic powder.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Cajun seasoning.
- It’s 2 tsp of Dehydrated onions.
Wash, drain, and snap ends off fresh green beans. Cut bacon with kitchen scissors into bite size pieces. Saute in a heavy bottom pot until done. Add in green beans, chicken stock, salt, black pepper, garlic, red pepper (if desired) and give a big stir to mix up.
Southern green beans instructions
- Fry bacon retain grease.
- Put all ingredients in pot with 2 cups water with bacon grease.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to med until 1/2 of water gone. (About 40 min).
Bring to a boil, cover with lid, and then turn down to medium to medium low heat and cook for. Put green beans in pot- if canned add juices, if frozen add water enough to see but not cover beans- cook on medium heat. Fry bacon until cooked but not too crisp- drain on paper towel. Cut onion in large (thick) slices and break rings apart in to beans. Crumble or rip bacon apart add to beans.