Water Chestnut Cake. Get your favourites from &Cake delivered. Download the app and order now! From the restaurant to your doorstep.
Traditionally, housewives mainly make Chinese water chestnut cake to celebrate Chinese New Year along with other Chinese style cakes like radish cake. However the chilled version is a great dessert for summer days too. Water chestnut cake is a well-known Cantonese dim sum dish, almost served at every yum cha restaurant in Hong Kong. You can cook Water Chestnut Cake using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Water Chestnut Cake
- Prepare 1 kg of water chestnut.
- You need of Around two or three Rock sugar.
- You need 1 Bar of sugar.
- You need of Water chestnut flour.
When Chinese New Year comes, Hong Kong people like to make their own different kind of cakes (糕), like radish cake (aka turnip cake), taro cake, sticky rice cake to celebrate the season. Chinese water chestnut cake (Chinese name is: 马蹄糕) is a traditional dessert snack in the area of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fuzhou and southern Fujian provinces. It is said that it originated in the Tang Dynasty and was made by steaming water chestnut powder with sugar water. Water chestnut is also known as horseshoe in Cantonese.
Water Chestnut Cake instructions
- Wash peel the water chestnut.Half are pound or minced and half are cut into small cubes.Mix water chestnut with water and.mix.Make sure.no.lumps..
- In a pot add around one cup of water and let the water boil and melt the sugars.When melted slowly pour the diluted flour and keep mixing.Pour also the pound water chestnut..
- Continue mixing.dont let it stick on the pot.When you reach the thicknessbyou desired.Pour in the containers and add the diced chestnut as a toppings..
- When.finish filling up the containers.Steam it for 20 mins.Let it cool and keep in the fridge.When you are ready ti eat.Just cut into square pan fry or steam will do..
In medium pot heat the rest of water and sugar slabs over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is completely melted. Make sure it's well stirred and then pass it through a sieve. Oil your container and make sure your steamer is ready. Water Chestnut cake is a kind of Chinese dessert, steamed cake. It is also one of my favorite dim sums and Chinese New Year food.