Runeberg cake. Runeberg cakes are dense, super moist, bursting with great flavours of cardamom, almonds, ginger and zest. Almond meal and biscuit crumbs lend a great texture. Laced with rum syrup and jam topping with icing ring makes it to die for dessert.
Apparently these cakes were invented by his wife Fredrika Runeberg. Popular legend says that Runeberg's wife, Fredrika Runeberg, created the dessert. To sum things up, the history of the precious cake takes us to the small city of Porvoo. You can cook Runeberg cake using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Runeberg cake
- Prepare 100 gr of soft butter.
- It’s 1 dl of sugar.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1.5 dl of flour.
- Prepare 0.5 dl of almond flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of baking flour.
- You need 1-3 spoonfuls of cardamom.
- You need Splash of cream / creme fraiche / milk.
- It’s of To moisturize.
- Prepare 0.5 dl of water.
- Prepare 2 spoonfuls of sugar.
- Prepare 3-4 spoonfuls of liquor (e.g. cognac).
- Prepare of Decoration.
- Prepare of Raspberry marmalade.
- You need of Powdered sugar.
Runeberg's Torte is named after a Finnish-Swedish national poet J. L Runeberg, but it was his wife Fredrika who made them famous already during their lifetime. The pastry, however, has its roots in the hands of a baker L. Traditionally, the dough for these cakes is baked in special "Runeberg's tart moulds", sold in many Finnish stores.
Runeberg cake step by step
- 1) Mix butter and sugar together. 2) Mix all dry ingredients separately together. 3) mix dairy products together. I ended up not having cream, so I pivoted and mixed a few spoonfuls of milk and creme fraiche together..
- Mix the dry ingredients and cream into the dough, alternating and mixing the whole time..
- Add the dough into little cups, I created mini muffins and used also one coffee cup to create a larger cake version. Tip: worth to make sure you can easily get the cakes out of the cups by adding a tiny bit of butter / flour into each cup before the dough. Bake in 175 C / 350 F for about 15-20 minutes. My mini muffins only needed 15 minutes..
- After baking, let them sit and cool down for 10 minutes. Add a spoonful of the moisture mix on top of each cake. Let the cakes sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or even better over night)..
- Decorate with powdered sugar and a marmalade. Please note: the original decoration calls for making a white, round icing on top of each cake. However, I opted in for a simpler version :-).
The individual moulds for these cakes are bottomless cylinders about six centimetres tall and with a diameter of about five centimetres. When baked in these genuine moulds, the cakes are called by their proper name, "Runeberg's tarts". Try and make them in the. The story tells that Fredrika Runeberg, the wife of a famous Finnish writer J. Runeberg, invented this delicious recipe (which is now a traditional and beloved dessert) for her husband's friends on their unexpected visit.