Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich). From the restaurant to your doorstep. Favourite restaurants in your area, ready to take your order. We Have Almost Everything on eBay.
Stack the slices into two sandwiches, then spread a thin layer of white sauce over the top and sprinkle with grated cheddar. Croque Monsieur, a French ham and cheese sandwich that is slathered with delicious bechamel sauce for a satisfying meal! Behold this quintessential French-bistro classic – the Croque Monsieur. You can cook Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich) using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich)
- You need of For Sandwich.
- You need 4 slices of white bread.
- It’s of butter, for brush.
- Prepare of mustard, for brush.
- It’s 2-4 of slices of ham.
- Prepare of grated mozzarella or gruyère cheese.
- Prepare of red cheddar cheese, block (optional).
- It’s of For Bechamel Sauce.
- Prepare 25 g (2 Tbsp) of butter.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) of milk.
- Prepare 1 cube of chicken broth.
- It’s 3.5 Tbsp of hot water.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf (optional).
This iconic French sandwich is filled with Paris ham and French hard mountain cheese, grilled to perfection, then covered with a creamy Béchamel sauce and finished under the broiler. It's cheesy, gooey, chewy with crisp edges… in essence, it's irresistible. A croque monsieur (French pronunciation: [kʁɔk məsjø]) is a hot sandwich made with ham and cheese. The dish originated in French cafés and bars as a quick snack.
Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich) instructions
- 【For Bechamel Sauce】 Put 1 cube of chicken broth in a small bowl. Add hot water, and Stir well to melt the cube. Add 1 bay leaf; set aside..
- Put butter in a small pot. Melt the butter on low heat. Turn off the heat and add flour, stir well until smooth. After smooth, heat it on low-medium heat. After it starts to bubble, stir well for 2 mins..
- Add the milk in 4-5 parts. Knead well for 1-2 mins at 1st addition on low-medium heat. From the next addition, stir well until smooth on medium heat, then stir for another minute. After mixing all the milk, mix with a whisk to make it smoother..
- Add chicken broth soup, heat it until bubbling up lightly while stirring. Use a spatula to scrape the edge and bottom off, fold into the sauce, and stir. Strain it (omittable). Remove the bay leaf. Seal it with plastic wrap to prevent drying, and let it cool. It’s more delicious if you let it sit in a fridge overnight..
- 【For hot sandwich】 Lightly toast 2 slices of bread. Brush with butter and mustard..
- Mix the bechamel sauce to smooth. Spread the bechamel sauce on the bread. Add ham and grated cheese..
- Top with bread. Spread the bechamel sauce on the top layer of the bread. Add the grated cheese..
- Finishing touches, grate the red cheddar cheese block on. Bake it at 230℃ / 446 F in a preheated oven for around 10 mins. Bake until cheese melts and golden brown. Please sprinkle pepper or dry parsley as you like..
- My Youtube Recipe Channel→What Santa left behind Please come to see！.
The name is based on the verb croquer ("to crunch") and the word monsieur ("mister"). Butter the outside of the bread. I found this easiest to do by putting the sandwich on a plate and buttering one side, flipping to butter the other. Press both sides of the sandwich into the shredded cheese and place on the griddle or skillet. Cook for several minutes, until golden brown then flip to cook the other side.