Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich). From the restaurant to your doorstep. Favourite restaurants in your area, ready to take your order. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Cover the sauce with a slice of a cheese and a slice of ham.
This is my version of the toasted cheese and ham sandwich of café society fame, and just thinking about it and imagining atmospheric, crowded pavement cafés makes me long to be in Paris and eat it there. But, that not being possible, it's one of the nicest snack meals for one that I know. Croque Monsieur, a French ham and cheese sandwich that is slathered with delicious bechamel sauce for a satisfying meal! You can have Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich) using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich)
- Prepare of For Sandwich.
- You need of white bread.
- It’s of butter, for brush.
- You need of mustard, for brush.
- Prepare of slices of ham.
- It’s of grated mozzarella or gruyère cheese.
- It’s of red cheddar cheese, block (optional).
- It’s of For Bechamel Sauce.
- You need of butter.
- It’s of flour.
- It’s of milk.
- You need of chicken broth.
- You need of hot water.
- You need of bay leaf (optional).
A croque monsieur (French pronunciation: [kʁɔk məsjø]) is a hot sandwich made with ham and cheese. The dish originated in French cafés and bars as a quick snack. The name is based on the verb croquer ("to crunch") and the word monsieur ("mister"). Behold this quintessential French-bistro classic – the Croque Monsieur.
Croque Monsieur (Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich) step by step
- 【For Bechamel Sauce】 Put 1 cube of chicken broth in a small bowl. Add hot water, and Stir well to melt the cube. Add 1 bay leaf; set aside..
- Put butter in a small pot. Melt the butter on low heat. Turn off the heat and add flour, stir well until smooth. After smooth, heat it on low-medium heat. After it starts to bubble, stir well for 2 mins..
- Add the milk in 4-5 parts. Knead well for 1-2 mins at 1st addition on low-medium heat. From the next addition, stir well until smooth on medium heat, then stir for another minute. After mixing all the milk, mix with a whisk to make it smoother..
- Add chicken broth soup, heat it until bubbling up lightly while stirring. Use a spatula to scrape the edge and bottom off, fold into the sauce, and stir. Strain it (omittable). Remove the bay leaf. Seal it with plastic wrap to prevent drying, and let it cool. It’s more delicious if you let it sit in a fridge overnight..
- 【For hot sandwich】 Lightly toast 2 slices of bread. Brush with butter and mustard..
- Mix the bechamel sauce to smooth. Spread the bechamel sauce on the bread. Add ham and grated cheese..
- Top with bread. Spread the bechamel sauce on the top layer of the bread. Add the grated cheese..
- Finishing touches, grate the red cheddar cheese block on. Bake it at 230℃ / 446 F in a preheated oven for around 10 mins. Bake until cheese melts and golden brown. Please sprinkle pepper or dry parsley as you like..
- My Youtube Recipe Channel→What Santa left behind Please come to see！.
This iconic French sandwich is filled with Paris ham and French hard mountain cheese, grilled to perfection, then covered with a creamy Béchamel sauce and finished under the broiler. It's cheesy, gooey, chewy with crisp edges… in essence, it's irresistible. Cover the sauce with grated gruyère, and then a slice of ham. Form the slices into two sandwiches, spread a thin layer of the sauce over the top slice and sprinkle more gruyère on top. Mix the mustard and mayo together and serve alongside.