Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam. Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam. Great recipe for Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam. My sister asked me to cook up this particular dish of Northern Malaysia, from the state of Kelantan.
Toast the Almonds until it's light brown, then remove and. Marinate chicken pieces with ground garlic and salt. Working in two batches, fry sliced onions until crisp and golden brown.. You can cook Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam using 31 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam
- It’s 600 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- Prepare of [Garlic Turmeric Paste] – ground well.
- You need 40 g of Garlic.
- You need 30 g of Ginger Root.
- It’s 20 g of Turmeric Root.
- You need of [Caramelised Onions].
- It’s 300 g of Yellow Onions (finely sliced).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Butter/Ghee.
- Prepare 1 g of Salt.
- Prepare of [Sauce].
- You need 50 g of Red Onions (diced roughly).
- You need 50 g of Shallots (sliced finely).
- Prepare 300 g of Ripe Tomatoes (diced finely).
- It’s 50 g of Almonds (flaked).
- Prepare 50 g of Raisins or Sultanas.
- Prepare 3 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- You need 2 pc of Star Anise.
- It’s 1 cup of Evaporated Milk (like Ideal) or Cream.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Kuzi Spice Mix (see below).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Honey (optional).
- Prepare as needed of Ghee/Butter.
- You need as needed of Salt.
- Prepare of [Kuzi Spice Mix].
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Coriander Powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of Cumin Powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Fennel Powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of White Pepper Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Ground Cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Ground Cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Ground Nutmeg.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Ground Mace.
Kuzi ayam or ayam masak kuzi is a traditional food in Kelantan, Malaysia. The main ingredients used to prepare this cuisine are chicken (Malay :ayam). Kuzi ayam is a very unique thick based curry. Traditionally it is best eaten with ghee rice, Bun and Roti jala.
Malay Chicken Kuzi Curry – Kuzi Ayam step by step
- MARINADE: marinate the Chicken with 1/2 the Garlic Turmeric Paste and 1/2 tsp Salt, for 30 minutes or more..
- ALMONDS & RAISINS: heat 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil on a low heat. Toast the Almonds until it's light brown, then remove and set aside. Next, fry the Raisins until they puffed up, remove and set aside..
- CARAMELISED ONIONS: heat 2 Tbsp of Ghee or Butter on a low heat. Add the Yellow Onions and Salt. Then Sauté the Onions until they brown all over. Remove, and let it cool. Once cooled, ground the Caramelised Onions into a paste..
- CHICKEN: heat 3-4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil on high heat. Fry the Chicken until brown all over. Remove and set aside..
- SAUCE: add 2 Tbsp of Ghee or Butter on medium heat. Fry the Cardamom Pods and Star Anise for a few seconds (until they pop). Fry the remaining Garlic Turmeric Paste until fragrant. Next, fry the Shallots and Red Onions until fragrant. Then add 1 Tbsp of Kuzi Spice Mix and mix well. Then, add the Tomatoes and 1 cup of Water. Mix well and bring it to a simmer. Cook until the Tomatoes are soft and disintegrating..
- ASSEMBLY: add the Caramelised Onions and mix well until they dissolve. Then add the Milk, the Chicken, the Raisins, Honey, Almonds and mix well. Serve with Rice or Bread..
- This is a dark Kuzi Curry, with extra Caramelised Onions and Chillies..
Kuzi Chicken was often prepared especially for joyous and grand occasions celebrated within the Kelantanese Malay community. Different than the your usual run-off-the-mill chicken curry, Kuzi Chicken has a milder, sweeter taste and is often confused with 'Ayam Masak Merah', another Malaysian favourite. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken, skin side down, until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan and add to the slow cooker. Kari Ayam is what they call this in Malaysia, in English simply Chicken Curry.