Indian Butter Chicken. Unlike most Indian curries where the preparation of the base starts with a blend of onion and a ginger garlic paste cooked in oil, butter chicken uses tomato as a base and is cooked in butter, giving it a slightly sweet flavor. Cashews and almonds add to the sweetness and richness of the dish. Add the chopped ginger, green chillies and cream, then simmer for a min or two longer, taking care that the sauce doesn't split.
Indian butter chicken consists of pieces of tandoori chicken cooked in a tangy, velvety tomato cream sauce. Despite its rich flavors and hearty consistency, butter chicken is a surprisingly low-carb meal. Butter chicken is of North Indian origin, Punjabi to be precise. You can have Indian Butter Chicken using 21 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indian Butter Chicken
- You need 2-3 pieces of boneless chicken breast.
- You need of Rice or Bread for sides.
- It’s of Milk or Cream.
- It’s of Plain yoghurt.
- You need of Tomato paste.
- Prepare of Marinade.
- You need 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger.
- Prepare 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of turmeric.
- It’s 2 tsp of garam masala.
- It’s 1 tsp of chili powder or cayenne pepper powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt (I use Himalayan Pink salt).
- You need of Gravy.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter or ghee or olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of tomato puree or tomato paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk or cream.
It gets its lovely, distinctive flavors from the tangy tomatoes, yogurt, and smoky kasuri methi (dried fenugreek) added to its gravy. This can be made as hot or mild as you like so it suits most palates. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Meanwhile, melt the low-fat spread in a large pan set over a low heat.
Indian Butter Chicken instructions
- First, cut chicken breast into small to medium size dice bites. Prepare the marinated and mix all together in a bowl before putting in the chicken..
- Put in the chicken and mix again until even..
- Marinate the chicken for 24 hours but if you don’t have time, 30 mins to an hour should be enough for the chicken to absorb the spices..
- Heat 1 tbsp butter or ghee on the pan (high heat) and fry the chicken for more or less 5 mins. The chicken will not browned because of the marinate..
- Take it out of the pan, and fry again for the second time for another 5 mins or until the chicken is fully cooked..
- Add on 1/2 cup of tomato sauce to the chicken, milk or cream, sugar and salt. Turn down the heat to low and simmer it for around 20 minutes..
- Taste it if it needs more salt or any other spices. Garnish with left over cream and some cilantros..
Saute shallot and onion until soft and translucent. Butter chicken also known as chicken makhani is one of the most popular, lip smacking and delicious dishes that's been loved by many across the world. Created by Kundan Lal Gujral, you may notice that Butter Chicken (known as murgh makhani — chicken with butter), is similar to British tikka masala. Prepared in a buttery gravy with the addition of cream gives the curry sauce a silky smooth rich texture. This easy Indian butter chicken recipe makes Indian food a synch!