Simmered Meat and Potato (Nikujaga). Steps to Make It Gather the ingredients. Add onion, carrot, potato, and shirataki in the pot and sauté together. The Spruce / Cara Cormack Pour dashi.
Great recipe for Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes). Nikujaga is one of traditional dish in Japan. "Niku" means meat and "jaga(imo)" means potato in Japanese. It reminds us of taste of mom's cooking. You can cook Simmered Meat and Potato (Nikujaga) using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Simmered Meat and Potato (Nikujaga)
- It’s of potatoes (approx. 500 g).
- It’s of onions.
- Prepare of thinly sliced pork or beef (if any, otherwise minced pork).
- Prepare of shirataki (konnyaku noodles).
- Prepare of oil.
- You need of soy sauce.
- It’s of sugar.
- You need of butter.
It is simmered the taste of ingredients and mom's love. Nikujaga is not meant to be a hearty beef stew. Rather the bulk of the dish is supposed to be the potatoes while the beef is there merely to flavor the broth. Slice the beef thinly into bite-sized pieces.
Simmered Meat and Potato (Nikujaga) instructions
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks. Cut the onions into wedges. And cut the carrot into random pieces. Boil the konnyaku noodles for about 5 minutes and drain water. Cut them into bite-length..
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Add the carrot and the potatoes and keep frying. Put the meat and the konnyaku noodles over them. Add the soy sauce and the sugar. Then, cover with a lid. Don't mix them now..
- Turn down the heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid. 15 minutes later, open the lid and mix all ingredients in the pot..
- Simmer with the lid again for 8 ~ 10 minutes over medium-low heat until the potatoes are cooked. Open the lid and add some butter..
Cut the potato and carrot into bite-sized pieces. String the snow peas and slice them into bite-sized pieces. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and sauté the beef over medium heat. When the beef is browned, add and sauté the onion, carrot, and potato. Nikujaga literally translated is meat and potatoes.