Japanese Oyako Don (Chicken & Egg on Rice). Japanese comfort food, Oyakodon is chicken meat and beaten eggs, simmered in a sweet and savory stock, and eaten over cooked rice in a bowl. Try it for breakfast some cold morning. The word ' oyako ' (親子) means parent and child in Japanese.
Classic soul food of Japan, the literal translation of Oyakodon (親子丼) means "parent-and-child rice bowl." Chicken (as in parent), egg (as in child), and onions are simmered together in a dashi and soy sauce-based broth then served on top of steamed rice. Oyako donburi, typically referred to simply as Oyakodon, is a Japanese dish consisting of chicken and egg cooked together in a light soup then poured over rice. The name of the dish literally translates to "parent-child" rice bowl. "Oya" means parents, hence the chicken, and "ko" means child, hence the egg. You can have Japanese Oyako Don (Chicken & Egg on Rice) using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Japanese Oyako Don (Chicken & Egg on Rice)
- It’s of Cooked Rice.
- It’s of Chicken Breast or Thigh.
- It’s of Onion.
- Prepare of Eggs.
- Prepare of Spring Onion.
- It’s of <Soup>.
- Prepare of Water.
- It’s of Japanese Soup Stock.
- It’s of Mirin.
- Prepare of Soy sauce.
This is a popular (at least in Hawaii) Japanese dish which is often served at restaurants in individual bowls. Oyako means mother and child, hence the main ingredients, chicken and eggs. Oyakodon is chicken and egg in seasoned broth over rice in a bowl. Oyako means parents and children, like chicken and egg, and don (donburi) means a bowl.
Japanese Oyako Don (Chicken & Egg on Rice) instructions
- Cut the chicken into small bite size. Slice the onion in 1-2mm thick..
- Heat the frying pan and stir fry the chicken and the onion about 1 minute. (Quickly cook the chicken on both side).
- Put in Soup ingredients in the frying pan and heat to boil. Let it boil for 4-5 minutes with a lid..
- Stir in the beaten egg. Cover immediately with the lid and turn the heat to low. Steam for 30 seconds and the turn off the heat..
- Dish onto the rice and sprinkle little pieces of spring onion on top..
It's a whole meal in one bowl. It is a healthy dish since everything is boiled with no added oil. Oyakodon is a one-bowl meal consisting of a bed of rice topped with chicken and egg (hence the name 'oyako', meaning 'parent and child') and seasoned with soy sauce, mirin, and dashi. A guaranteed mealtime favourite, we recommend you serve this as soon as you finish making it. Browse our cupboard staples to ensure you have everything you need.