Salisbury Steak. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Salisbury steak is a dish, originating in the United States, made from a blend of ground beef and other ingredients and usually served with gravy or brown sauce.
Hamburger salisbury steak with gravy is a classic dinner that is inexpensive and so easy to make. This American physician spent his career promoting a meat-centered diet and thus, the Salisbury steak was born. In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. You can have Salisbury Steak using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Salisbury Steak
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- You need 1/3 cup of bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/3 cup of milk.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried parsley.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 tbs of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tbs of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 tbs of flour.
- Prepare 2 cups of low sodium beef broth.
- Prepare 1 tbs of worcestershire sauce.
- You need to taste of additional salt and pepper.
Salisbury steak involves making seasoned beef patties using mince / ground beef, then making a mushroom gravy. In my recipe, there's just two little things I do differently to the usual Salisbury Steak recipe that takes these up a notch: How to Make Salisbury Steak Start by mixing together the patty mixture, then shaping the patties and searing them in a skillet. Next, cook the mushrooms and onions, and add a simple sauce of tomato paste, mustard, and beef broth. Nestle the patties back into the skillet and let everything simmer until the patties are cooked through.
Salisbury Steak step by step
- In a large bowl blend first 9 ingredients by hand until well combined. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties about 1/2-3/4 inch thick (their diameter should be about 3 inches)..
- Place patties in a single layer on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hr. Remove patties from fridge about 15 minutes before you're ready to cook..
- Heat a large, deep sided skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. Swirl to coat skillet. As soon as butter is melted place patties in skillet distributed evenly, edges not touching. Sear 3-4 minutes per side, but not cooking through..
- When both sides are seared transfer patties to a plate and set aside. Do not drain fat from skillet. Wisk flour into fat. Allow to cook about 1 minute. Wisk in beef broth ensuring no clumps form..
- Bring gravy to a simmer wisking frequently. When gravy simmers wisk in worcestershire sauce. Continue simmering until gravy begins to thicken. About 5 minutes. Carefully taste and add salt and pepper to personal taste..
- Return patties to skillet, turning once to coat in gravy. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and allow to gently simmer about 10 minutes. Flip patties. Cover, turn heat to low and let sit 10 minutes more. This is allowing the patties to soak up some of that gravy flavor while they finish cooking..
- Your gravy should be on the thin side for this dish. Serve with mashed potatoes (or cauliflower, yum!). Drizzle gravy over patties and potatoes. Enjoy!.
- See notes and tips below ⤵.
- Tip: Form patties with edges slightly thicker than the center to avoid the "domed" effect of cooked beef patties..
- The hour in the fridge is to allow time for the flavors to really blend and develop. If you want to skip this step that is perfectly fine. The flavors just won't be quite as bold..
- It is important to not touch or move patties around in skillet until it is time to flip them in order to form that nice crisp, caramelized sear on the meat..
Salisbury steak is an American take on Hamburg steak. Essentially, it's a seasoned ground beef patty served with gravy or a brown sauce. Watch how to make this recipe. For the meat mixture: Combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, ketchup, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and some salt and pepper. Salisbury steak is basically a technique to transform hamburger back into a steak.