Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak. Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak Cook Lebanese Beirut, Lebanon Yogurt is cooked with coriander and garlic then poured over crunchy meat dumplings. It is usually served with vermicelli rice. To serve, place the shish barak dumplings in a serving dish and pour the yogurt sauce in another deep dish.
Every culture around the world has some form of dumplings. In Lebanon, they're called shish barak and they are absolutely delightful. These delicate lamb dumplings are served in a warm yogurt sauce and are bursting with incredible Middle Eastern flavor. You can cook Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak
- It’s of – For the shish barak dumplings:.
- Prepare of flour.
- It’s of coarsely ground beef.
- Prepare of small onion, finely chopped.
- It’s of vegetable oil.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of white pepper.
- It’s of cinnamon.
- Prepare of For the sauce:.
- It’s of yogurt.
- It’s of starch, dissolved in ½ cup water.
- It’s of garlic, crushed.
- Prepare of fresh coriander, chopped.
- You need of vegetable oil.
- It’s of salt.
If you don't have all the spices on hand, feel free to leave one out or make a substitution. Place the yoghurt in a large saucepan and add one tablespoon of cornstarch per pound and an egg (optional) if desired. Place on low to medium heat and with a wooden spoon stir the yoghurt in the same direction until it starts steaming and a bubble or two escapes. Turn off the heat and keep aside.
Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak step by step
- To prepare the dough: sift the flour in a bowl with some salt. Gradually add water and knead to obtain a soft dough. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 30 min..
- To prepare the filling: on high heat, fry the chopped onion in a skillet with the vegetable oil until golden. Add the ground meat, cinnamon, pepper and salt and fry until the meat turns brown. Set aside to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C..
- To make the shish barak dumplings: on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough using a rolling pin. Cut the dough into 4 cm circles..
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling at the centre of each circle and fold in half. Press edges together then bring both corners together to obtain a dumpling. Seal well..
- Put all the meat dumplings in a well-greased baking tray and bake for 10 min or until blushed. Remove from oven and set aside..
- To prepare the sauce: strain the yogurt into a pot, add the dissolved starch and place over medium heat. Stir continuously in a circular movement until yogurt thickens then reduce the heat. It is very important to stir continuously for the yogurt not to stick to the pot..
- In a small skillet, fry the minced garlic and fresh coriander with the vegetable oil and add them to the yogurt. Mix well and turn off the heat..
- To serve, place the shish barak dumplings in a serving dish and pour the yogurt sauce in another deep dish. It is customary to serve vermicelli rice along with it. In each individual plate, place a serving of rice and shish barak dumplings and cover with yogurt sauce..
- This serving method is recommended to preserve the crunchiness of the shish barak. Another way to serve it is to add the shish barak dumplings to the yogurt sauce before serving, in which case it will lose its crunchiness..
- Note: You can find the recipe 'vermicelli rice' in this application..
Shish Barak (Meat Dumplings in Yogurt Sauce) Halal diet Main course category If you search for the ultimate comfort food, these dumplings stuffed with ground meat and onion with smooth and creamy sauce are the real deal. These Meat dumplings in yoghurt sauce are also called shishbarak. Add onion and all your spices and cook until meat is fully cooked, and onions have softened. On a flat surface, dust some flour and roll the dough into a thin sheet around. In a medium pot, add water, when it boils, drop the dumplings to cook them before mixing them with yogurt.