Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes. The Perfect Way To Show Them You Care – Social Distancing Approved! Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Then add tomatoes, bay, oregano, and lemon zest, give it a stir, and let the herbs bloom for a minute or so.
Something that some of you may already know is that by eating the right foods can have a substantial effect on your. Great recipe for Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes. Asked the hubs what kind of chicken he wanted for dinner last night, and he said, "Something Mediterranean-ish." Cut the chicken breast into strips and set aside. You can cook Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes
- It’s 3 pounds of chicken pieces (I like bone-in, skin on).
- It’s 2 teaspoons of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1.5 Tablespoons of flour.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- It’s 1 of onion, cut into 1/2" wide slices.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- You need 3 of fresh tomatoes, cut into sixths.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano (or 2 to 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh).
- It’s 2 cups of unsalted liquid (any combo of water, dry white wine, or chicken or veg stock).
- You need 12 of olives.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of olive brine.
- It’s of zest of half a lemon (optional).
- It’s 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.
- It’s 1 pound of potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5-inch cubes.
- It’s of chopped fresh parsley for finishing.
Add the finely chopped garlic cloves, ras-el-hanout, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Add the tomatoes on the vine, olives and oregano to the tin. Serve with any pan juices spooned over. This is a healthy chicken stew recipe with layers of chopped veggies, tomatoes, and big Mediterranean flavors like oregano, thyme, and coriander.
Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes step by step
- Season chicken pieces with the salt and pepper and then dust on both sides with the flour..
- Preheat pot to medium high, add oil, then brown chicken, 4 to 5 minutes a side, or until each side is golden brown. Remove chicken from pot and set aside..
- Add onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes until onion turns translucent. Then add tomatoes, bay, oregano, and lemon zest, give it a stir, and let the herbs bloom for a minute or so..
- Add the chicken back along with olives, olive brine, liquid (stock or water). Give it a gentle stir and adjust salt seasoning if needed. Turn heat down to medium, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add potatoes and try to submerge them as under the liquid as much as you can. You might like to add another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to lend a little extra seasoning for the potatoes. Simmer, with lid askew for another 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally..
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley (and maybe add a couple of lemon wedges for squeezing onto the chicken right before eating). Enjoy with your choice of pasta, rice, or crusty bread. :).
And let me tell you, do not underestimate the splash of white wine vinegar stirred in at the end! That little bit of acid is the secret ingredient that brings about brightness and balance to this hearty stew without stealing the show. This slow-cooked stew is packed with Mediterranean flavour from chorizo, olives, tomatoes and peppers. Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and set aside on a plate. Transfer to an oven-proof dish if necessary.