Southwestern Tofu, Black Beans, and Rice. Southwestern Tofu, Black Beans, and Rice River Rowan Cooks! Grilled slices of tofu are marinated in a pineapple-cilantro mixture and served with black beans and brown rice in this Caribbean-inspired main dish. Be sure to use extra firm tofu to prevent it from breaking apart while cooking this flavorful recipe.
Crispy tofu is the best, toss in Cuban spices, and top it all off with black beans and rice. Yes, it is as good as it looks and sounds. Southwest tofu scramble is a simple easy to make vegan version of scrambled eggs with a southwest flavor flair. You can cook Southwestern Tofu, Black Beans, and Rice using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southwestern Tofu, Black Beans, and Rice
- You need 1 block of tofu.
- You need 1 can of black beans.
- It’s 1 cup of white rice.
- You need 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of lime juice.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sriracha.
- You need of Spices:.
- You need of minced garlic.
- It’s of onion powder.
- Prepare of garlic powder.
- Prepare of paprika.
- You need of cilantro.
- Prepare of red pepper flakes.
- You need of cumin.
- Prepare of chili powder.
- Prepare of oregano.
- It’s of cayenne.
A go-to skillet breakfast full of veggies and plant based protein.. Southwest tofu scramble with black beans, tomato, cilantro, and flavorful fiesta style flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free) I love hearty, filling breakfasts on the weekends whenever we have a little more time to linger. Crumble the tofu directly into your skillet along with the black beans. Add salt and pepper to taste (if needed).
Southwestern Tofu, Black Beans, and Rice instructions
- Drain and press one brick of tofu. I like to wrap it in layers of paper towels and set a cast iron skillet on top of it for at least half an hour. Cut into small cubes and set aside..
- Add 1 cup of white rice and 1 cup of water to rice cooker or medium sized pot..
- Add 2 teaspoons of lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, a pinch of cayenne to the pot..
- Stir all ingredients together and turn on rice cooker or bring covered pot to boil on the stove. If using stove top, once a rapid boil is achieved, turn heat to low. Remove from heat once water has evaporated, like you do when cooking rice..
- Open can of black beans and pour contents into microwave safe bowl. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon oregano. Stir until combined. Heat covered in microwave for 2 1/2 minutes..
- In cast iron skillet or large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat..
- Add tofu cubes and cook until lightly golden brown on all sides..
- Mix together 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon sriracha, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a bowl or measuring glass..
- Pour mixture into skillet/frying pan with tofu and stir/cook until tofu mixture has evaporated..
- Serve tofu, rice, and black beans separately or mixed together. For the full flavor, take a bite of all of them at once, the flavors will combine and complement each other..
Turn the heat off, mix in chopped cilantro and serve warm. Sprinkle the black beans over the veggies, then add the uncooked rice on top. Remove the vegetable broth from the heat once it comes to a boil and pour evenly over the casserole dish. These directions are for cooking this recipe to serve immediately and NOT to freeze for later. In a bowl, mix rice, beans, corn, salsa, and cumin.