Spanish Rice. Spanish rice is the perfect accompaniment to Mexican foods, chicken, or just about anything. This simple recipe uses chicken broth and chunky salsa to transform plain white rice into a marvelous side dish. This is a quick and easy way to spice up rice.
This classic Mexican-style Spanish Rice (also called arroz rojo) has all the crucial elements: tomato (in the form of tomato sauce), onion, garlic, and of course, rice. One cook's "Spanish" rice is another's "Mexican." Whatever the name, the result is more or less the same: an orange pilaf-style rice flavored with onion and garlic and flecked with carrot. Tomato paste further tints this colorful companion to all things Tex-Mex. You can cook Spanish Rice using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spanish Rice
- You need 2 cups of Jazmin rice.
- It’s 1 of roma tomatoes chopped.
- It’s 1 of Green Bell Pepper Diced.
- You need 1/4 of yellow onion diced.
- Prepare 1 cube of tomato boulion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1/4 cup of tomato sauce.
- It’s 4 cups of water.
- It’s Pinch of salt.
- It’s Pinch of pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of canola oil.
Spanish Rice also known as Mexican Rice is an easy side dish that goes perfectly with tacos, burritos and enchiladas. For me I can't have tacos without beans and rice. This Authentic Spanish Rice recipe is super flavorful thanks to the chicken broth, spices, onions and garlic. Spanish rice is essentially a rice pilaf, but with southwestern flavorings.
Spanish Rice instructions
- Pour 2 cups rice in a medium pot. Season with salt, pepper, and ground cummin..
- Add conola oil, bring the pot to high heat and saute rice until brown. About 3 minutes adding your diced onions and peppers after 2..
- After 3 minutes add your Tomatoes and cubed boulion. Sturr for 2 more minutes..
- After 2 more minutes of sturring add your tomato sauce, water and green onions..
- When water comes to a boil, bring heat to medium and let rice cook for 15 minutes covered..
- After 15 minutes, turn heat off and let the pot sit for another 5 minutes covered..
- After 5 minutes, remove cover and let rice sit for 3 more minutes. Then serve..
To make it you brown the raw rice first with onions and garlic, and then cook the rice in chicken broth with added tomatoes. The browning is essential to the nutty, almost toasty flavor of the rice. You'll often see it called Spanish rice, although there is a key difference between the two—Spanish rice uses saffron to achieve its red color. This recipe is a version of the traditional and ubiquitous red rice with vegetables prepared all over Mexico. The terms "Spanish rice" and "Mexican Rice" are often used interchangeably and include some combination of tomatoes, onion, chicken bouillon (consomé), and other spices.