Basic Pasta/Pizza Sauce. Family pasta maker supplying Michelin starred restaurants now selling directly. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low heat, then add the onion along with a generous pinch of salt. Add the garlic and fry for a further min.
Warm a little olive oil in a large high sided frying pan. Add the onion and the dried oregano, fry over a medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. You can have Basic Pasta/Pizza Sauce using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Basic Pasta/Pizza Sauce
- It’s 1 can of 28 oz whole peeled tomatoes (I prefer a good italian brand over Hunts).
- It’s 2 tbsp of – 3 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- It’s 1 medium of onion (I typically use 1/2 large red onion) – diced.
- You need 2 of to 3 garlic cloves – chopped or minced.
- It’s 1/2 medium of carrot (chopped).
- It’s 4 of to 6 basil leaves – fresh (may use dried 2 tbls).
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 of to 2 Bay leaves.
- You need 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar.
- You need 3 tbsp of dry white wine (choose a wine you like).
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste (1-2 tsp each usually).
- It’s 1 tsp of + red pepper flakes (optional).
Add the red wine if using and continue to fry for another minute. Tomato purée, olive oil, garlic and dried spices sit for hours to let the flavours blend in this interesting, uncooked pizza sauce. The thickness of the sauce depends on the amount of water used; it should be somewhat viscous. A classic, rich tomato sauce – great with pasta, meatballs or mixed with creamy mascarpone.
Basic Pasta/Pizza Sauce instructions
- Heat oil in 2-3 qt pot at med-hi. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions become translucent. (approx 2-3 min).
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil momentarily then simmer covered. Stir occasionally. (45 min).
- Transfer sauce to blender or food processor and blend to desired consistency. (chunky sauce – a few good pulses; blend full speed if preferred smooth).
- **NOTE** Add diced bell peppers or different cheeses for different flavors of sauce.
This recipe makes a big batch and freezes well so you can whip up quick weekday meals. Heat a saucepan and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the tomatoes, sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar. Use this quick and easy, no-cook pizza sauce as a basic topping for your homemade pizza. Add mozzarella or other cheese, sliced mushrooms or peppers, olives, salami – whatever you like.