Portuguese Rice Pudding. Steps to Make It Place the water, salt, and lemon peel into a medium pan and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and allow the. Remove the lemon peel from the water with a slotted spoon and discard.
Directions: In a saucepan add the water, lemon peel, cinnamon sticks, and salt, bring to a boil. While it's boiling, add the rice. Add the milk, half-and-half and sugar to the rice. You can cook Portuguese Rice Pudding using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Portuguese Rice Pudding
- You need of 3% (Homogenized) milk.
- It’s of Water.
- You need of Butter (unsalted preferably).
- It’s of Salt.
- It’s of Sliced zest of small lemon (count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later).
- You need of Arborio or Carolina Rice, soaked in water.
- You need of + 3 TBS white sugar.
- You need of Egg Yolks.
- Prepare of Cinnamon (for garnish).
Once most of the liquid has once again absorbed into the rice, add in the egg yolk, stirring vigorously. Pour into a shallow dish and sprinkle with cinnamon or form a design with cinnamon. Portuguese rice pudding is cooked entirely on top of the stove in a risotto like manner. It traditionally is thickened and enriched further with egg yolks, but has a voluptuous texture even without.
Portuguese Rice Pudding step by step
- Cover with water and soak the rice in a small bowl (not the same water as below) and set aside..
- Combine milk, water, butter, salt and lemon in a large pot. Be sure to count pieces of zest to ensure that all are removed later..
- Bring contents of pot just to a boil using medium heat..
- When milk boils drain the rice from step one and add it to milk..
- LISTEN VERY CAREFULY – IMPORTANT STEP!!! Stir a couple of times to mix then leave on LOWEST heat WITHOUT STIRRING until rice grains come to the top of liquid, it will look almost solid. This takes at least 1 hour and maybe longer depending on the kind of rice used. Test to see that the rice is soft. If not, leave a bit longer..
- Remove pieces of lemon zest..
- Add Sugar and stir pot for 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve.
- Lightly beat and add 6 egg yolks.
- At this point start stirring constantly until mixture thickens and looks creamy, about 5 minutes..
- Pour into a large heatproof dish or several smaller dishes, sprinkle with cinnamon and let cool..
Instructions Cook rice according to the package instructions. In a small pot heat your milk, stopping just before it begins to simmer. In a small bowl whisk the eggs yolks and then temper them by very slowly pouring just a bit of the hot milk into the. Add the sugar, butter, vanilla, and lemon. Instructions In a medium sauce pan, bring water to boil along with orange peel, cinnamon stick, butter and salt.