German chocolate cake. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Check Out Great Brands On eBay.
There's no cake more special, with its signature coconut-pecan filling and topping. German Chocolate Cake A hit ever since it was developed by Sam German for Baker's Chocolate Company, this cake is filled and topped with a coconut-pecan frosting. The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting. You can have German chocolate cake using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of German chocolate cake
- It’s of cake.
- You need 4 oz of German sweet chocolate.
- You need 1/2 cup of water, boiling.
- It’s 1 cup of butter.
- It’s 4 of egg yolks.
- Prepare 12 oz of cake flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 4 of egg whites, beaten stiff.
- It’s of frosting.
- Prepare 3 of egg yolks.
- Prepare 1 cup of evaporated milk.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of coconut flakes.
- Prepare 1 cup of pecans, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla.
German Chocolate Cake is a sweet chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with rich, sticky coconut, and pecan filling. Despite its name, the cake isn't German at all. How to make German Chocolate Cake In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl combine the Dutch process cocoa powder and chopped chocolate.
German chocolate cake step by step
- Melt chocolate in boiling water,set aside. Cream butter and sugar, add yolks and beat well. Blend in vanilla and chocolate..
- Sift flour, salt and soda. Add to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Fold in beaten egg whites..
- Bake in 3 floured pans @350° for 35-40 minutes..
- Cream butter and sugar, add yolks and milk. Cook over medium heat about 12 min. stirring, until thick. remove from heat and add pecans, coconut,and vanilla..
I used semi-sweet chocolate but feel free to use German sweet chocolate. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, salt, espresso powder, baking powder, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; set aside.