Japanese ”Nikujaga” the Potato and Pork Stew. Browse new releases, best sellers or classics & Find your next favourite book Enjoy your local restaurant favourites from the comfort of your own home. Japanese "Nikujaga" the Potato and Pork Stew instructions. Also, cut carrot into big bite size, then set aside.
This stew is called ' nikujaga ' (肉じゃが) in Japanese, which literally means meat and potatoes – the key ingredients of this dish. Meat is ' niku' (肉) in Japanese and potato is ' jagaimo ' (じゃがいも). Print Recipe Pin Recipe Nikujaga is literally meat (niku) and potatoes (jagaimo) in Japanese. You can cook Japanese ”Nikujaga” the Potato and Pork Stew using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Japanese ”Nikujaga” the Potato and Pork Stew
- You need 200 g of Thin sliced pork belly.
- You need 1 Table Spoon of oil.
- You need 400 g of Potato.
- You need 150 g of Onion.
- You need 90 g of Carrot.
- Prepare 1 Bag of Shirataki ※If you cannot find it, you don't have to use it.
- Prepare 250 ml of Dashi stock (please check out my Dashi stock recipe).
- You need of ☆Seasoning 1☆.
- It’s 2 Table Spoon of Sugar.
- It’s 2 Table Spoon of Sake.
- Prepare 2 Table Spoon of Mirin.
- Prepare of ☆Seasoning 2☆.
- It’s 2 1/2 Table Spoon of Soy Sauce.
It is a stewed dish seasoned with mainly soy sauce and sugar. It is very much mom's cooking everyone loves. Potatoes used in Nikujaga are anything you like. Add the sake, soy sauce, and sugar to a pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
Japanese ”Nikujaga” the Potato and Pork Stew instructions
- Cut potato into big bite size, and put in water for 5 minutes, then dry with kitchen towel. Also, cut carrot into big bite size, then set aside. Slice onion into 1 cm (half a inch) thick along the fiber..
- Heat a deep pot over medium heat, and put oil to fry the meat until it changes the color to brown..
- Add 1 to 2, then fry until the surface of potato is slightly translucent, then add Dashi Stock. Mix lightly and add all the ingredients of Seasoning 1. Mix as well. Turn the heat to medium high..
- Take out Lye (foamy texture waste that floats on the surface), then cook for 3~5 minutes. Add Seasoning 2 (soy sauce), and shirataki as well..
- Keep cooking until the potato is tender, and most of moisture is evaporated, then serve. ※Make sure to stir every 2~3 minutes to avoid its burned..
- Plate and serve. Garnish if you like :).
Layer the potatoes, carrots, beef, onions, tomatoes, and shirataki noodles in the pot. In a large pot, heat oil at medium high temperature and cook pork until the color changes. Add potatoes, onions, and carrot and cook for a minute. Add onion, carrot, potato, and shirataki in the pot and sauté together. Pour dashi soup and bring to a boil.