Korean Fried Chicken. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper. Dairy-free "There's nothing not to like about this ubiquitous Korean fried chicken dish, coated in a slick of smoky 'gochujang' chilli paste, roasted sesame oil, garlic, ginger and vinegar – it's totally addictive. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.
But even though I grew up eating it in America, for me, 'KFC' stands for Korean fried chicken. There are many different versions, but what they all have in common is a very thin, hard crisp coating, which comes from using cornflour instead of flour, as well as double frying. The best Korean Fried Chicken – crispy coated buttermilk fried chicken smothered in a spicy Korean-inspired gochujang sauce. You can cook Korean Fried Chicken using 29 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Korean Fried Chicken
- You need of Chicken and Marinade :.
- You need 4 of chicken breasts – sliced into long thick strips.
- It’s 240 ml of buttermilk.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of white pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garlic salt.
- It’s of Crispy Coating :.
- Prepare 180 g of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of garlic salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of celery salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of chili flakes.
- It’s 1 litre of vegetable oil for deep frying.
- It’s of Sauce :.
- You need 2 tbsp of gochujang paste.
- It’s 2 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 4 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced.
- You need 2 tsp of minced ginger.
- You need 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 of spring onion, finely sliced.
- It’s 1 tsp of sesame seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of chili flakes.
The sauce is so rich, flavourful and complex and it comes together very easily – just throw all the ingredients in a pan and bubble it up. We love to eat this with rice, noodles, or my personal favourite – stuffed into bao buns! One thing that I absolutely love as a. In a separate saucepan, add in the Korean fried chicken sauce ingredients (listed above).
Korean Fried Chicken instructions
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Mix together, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 1 hour up to over night..
- Preheat the oven to a low heat (to keep cooked chicken warm). Heat the vegetable oil in a pot on low heat..
- Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a bowl..
- Take the chicken out of the fridge. Lift a piece from the buttermilk and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crispy coating mixture – ensuring its fully covered. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the chicken is coated..
- Once the oil hot enough, add in 5-6 of the chicken. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pot, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken..
- Cook until golden brown and cooked in the middle. Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the chicken..
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and stir together. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes until thickened..
- Pour over the crispy chicken and carefully toss together, then top with spring onions, chili flakes and sesame seeds before serving..
Heat the sauce over low medium heat and stir well. Once it starts bubbling, remove the pan from the heat. Place double fried chicken into a large mixing bowl then pour the fried chicken sauce over the chicken to coat. Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and lightly spritz with sunflower oil. While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce.