Chicken Paprikash. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan placed over a medium heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Chicken Paprikash (aka, chicken paprika) is perhaps the best known Hungarian dish. The name is derived from the abundant use of the spice that is very common to Hungarian cuisine…paprika. If you've been following my blog you'll also know that I recently used it in my Hungarian Mushroom Soup, Pörkölt, and Hungarian Goulash too. You can have Chicken Paprikash using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Paprikash
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 3 of chicken breast fillets.
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1 1/2 of bell peppers.
- You need 3 of tomatoes diced.
- It’s 2 of carrots diced.
- You need 3 of potatoes cubed.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Hungarian paprika.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- You need of Pasta.
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Using two spoons, scoop out some batter with one spoon and use the second to scrap off the spoonful of batter into the boiling water. Chicken paprikash with chicken pieces, browned in butter, cooked with onions and paprika, then served with a little sour cream mixed in. Chicken paprikash hails from Hungary, a country with beautiful landscapes, cities, villages, cultures, traditions, people and food.
Chicken Paprikash instructions
- Brown chicken. Then add rest of olive oil cube potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, garlic.
- In a large Dutch oven medium heat, melt butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil, then add chicken. Season with salt and pepper..
- And onions. Cook gently on medium heat until slightly soft..
- Transfer into a casserole pot and add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, paprika and a little more salt and pepper. Stir well and place lid on and into a moderate over to cook..
- Once potatoes and carrots soft add a little more chicken broth and sour cream and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Cook pasta and drain..
- Serve pasta and chicken paprikash together..
I love hearing from our readers about their experiences visiting Hungary and falling in love with the country and its food. That's what visiting Hungary does to people…they fall in love. Heat butter in a Dutch oven or large skillet with a lid. Add onion and sauté over low heat until translucent. Add chicken pieces and brown lightly on both sides.