Skillet Red Beans and Rice. Bring Some New Orleans Flavor To Your Cooking With Zatarain's®. Traditional red beans and rice, born in Louisiana, takes several hours to make. First, dry kidney beans are soaked, then sausage is cooked, vegetables are added, and then the dish simmers for several hours.
Add broth, seasonings and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add beans and rice, stir together and reduce heat to medium-low. TL/DR – Weeknight Skillet Red Beans and Rice. You can have Skillet Red Beans and Rice using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Skillet Red Beans and Rice
- You need 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- You need 1 of small bell pepper, diced.
- Prepare 1 stalk of celery, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 tsp. of Cajun seasoning.
- You need 12 oz. of andouille sausage, sliced.
- You need 1 cup of long grain rice.
- It’s 1 can (15 oz.) of red beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
The beans could simmer unattended while the cook was busy with the laundry and other chores. It was a perfect fit, easily feeding a crowd and being versatile enough to tailor according to what was in the pantry. After spooning these tender, flavorful red beans over fluffy rice, pair it with some of our perfect skillet cornbread and collard greens. The Southern-style sides take this New Orleans red beans and rice to the next level.
Skillet Red Beans and Rice step by step
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the sausage and cook until browned. Then remove them to a seperate plate and set it aside. Add the additional oil and the onion, peppers and celery with a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook that until fragrant..
- Increase the heat to med-high. Stir the rice into the skillet with the Cajun seasoning. Let it toast up for a couple of minutes, then stir in the beans, broth and browned sausage. Let it come up to a low boil..
- Once beginning to boil, place the lid on and lower the heat down to low. Let this simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off but keep the lid on an additional 5 minutes. Then fluff it with a fork and serve..
Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender. Pour in beans and tomatoes with juice. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Skillet Dirty Rice & Beans is a super easy skillet dinner, made in one pan. The rice is cooked with warm aromatics like onions, garlic, Cajun seasoning, and smoked paprika.