Heidis Baked tostadas. Save the calories from fried tortillas. You can even make these meatless with some sauted veggies such as zichinni, eggplant and mushrooms as a topping. Here is how you can achieve that.
Increasing our intake of healthy foods while reducing the intake of unhealthy ones contributes to a more wholesome feeling. A salad tends to make us feel a lot better than a piece of pizza (physically. Once the homemade tostada shells are baked and crispy, now comes the fun part! You can have Heidis Baked tostadas using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Heidis Baked tostadas
- It’s of Ground beef or meat of your choice.
- You need of Garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- You need of large onion, chopped.
- You need of garlic.
- Prepare of frozen peas(Cooked to crisp tender).
- Prepare of frozen mixed vegetables (Cooked to crisp tender).
- You need of Refried pinto beans. Your own recipe or canned to make it even easier.
- Prepare of Mini yellow corn tortillas. (or regular size).
- You need of Cooking spray oil.
- You need of Shredded pepper jack, colby jack, monterey jack cheese. Or for real authenticity use crumbled Queso Fresco.
Some ideas for tostada toppings include: Some ideas for tostada toppings include: Spread refried beans (try my recipe for homemade refried beans – so yummy and so much better for you!), and cheese and your favorite toppings – lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, olives, onions…the list goes on! Here are the steps to making baked tostada shells in the oven. Place tortillas in a single layer on a large cookie sheet making sure to not let them overlap. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the tortillas with a thin layer of oil and and lightly salt.
Heidis Baked tostadas step by step
- Preheat oven to 375° F..
- In a skillet brown meat over medium high heat until no longer pink. About 5-7 minutes..
- Add chopped onion and garlic. Let saute with meat until fragant..
- Add spices and salt and pepper to taste..
- Cook until done and stir in vegetables..
- Meanwhile spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a rack on a cookie sheet. It is important to bake tortillas on a rack so they toast evenly..
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Turning them over every few minutes so they dont burn..
- If needed bake a little longer until crunchy throughout. If your tortillas have chewy spots then you did not bake them long enough..
- Next assemble a toasted tortilla, spread beans on top, add meat, sprinkle cheese on top..
- Serve with some sour cream and salsa on top. You can also use guacamole and chopped lettuce and tomatoes on your tostada..
- The number of servings depends on what size tortilla you use and also who youre feeding! (:.
Pro Tip: extremely fresh or larger tortillas may take up to. Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil. In a small saucepan, mix together the refried beans, chilli. These baked tostada shells were baked using thin corn tortillas. I was plenty full with two tostadas.