Southern Style Fried Chicken. Your favourite Fried Chicken restaurants available on Deliveroo. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Dip the chicken into the mixture and turn to coat well on all sides.
Take half of the chicken out of the milk, shake off any excess and put in the bag of seasoned flour. Hold the top closed and shake well. Lift the pieces out and shake off any excess, but don't do this too hard or you'll end up with no coating. "This is an incredible fried chicken recipe, one that I've subtly evolved from that of my dear friend Art Smith, one of the kings of southern American comfort food. You can have Southern Style Fried Chicken using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern Style Fried Chicken
- It’s 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 cup of cornstarch.
- It’s 5 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- You need 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 3/4 cup of cold water.
This ensures the chicken is juicy and can help the flour stick better. Replace the milk with evaporated milk if you prefer. Use a seasoned salt blend as a substitute for the salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook the oven chips at the same time as the chicken, according to the packet instructions.
Southern Style Fried Chicken step by step
- Brine chicken for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- In large bowl mix dry ingredients. Whisk together..
- Add water and whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour..
- Remove chicken from brine and discard water. Pat chicken dry..
- Whisk batter to ensure it's evenly distributed..
- In a dutch oven place 3 quarts of oil and heat to 350°F..
- Place chicken in batter mixture. Remove and allow excess to drip off. Place in hot oil carefully and cook for 13-15 minutes. Cook batches of white and dark meat together..
- After 4 min move chicken to be sure it's not sticking together or to bottom the of pan..
- Once chicken is golden brown or time is reached remove and check and see if chicken is done. Use an onstage read meat thermometer to check internal temperature of chicken (at least 160 for white meat and 175 for dark) being sure not to hit the bone..
- If internal temperature is good place chicken in a 200°F oven to keep warm until all batches are done..
- Reheat oil for next batch.
Place chicken pieces in hot oil. In a large zip-lock bag, add salt, flour, cayenne pepper, shake to. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan, until very hot. Dip the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the flour mixture, then in the egg, then in the flour mixture again. Marinate chicken in spiced buttermilk for more succulent meat and bake for a healthier Southern-style 'fried' chicken recipe.