Pita bread. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Check Out Great Brands On eBay. In a bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, nigella seeds and salt. Using your fingers mix the ingredients together.
Rustle up homemade pitta bread to serve with dips or as a side dish to mop up juices. Home-made pitta bread is such a treat, and with a breadmaker to make the initial dough, it's not a lot of bother. I love the way they puff up and become hollow. You can cook Pita bread using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pita bread
- You need 300 g of strong white flour.
- Prepare 200 g of plain flour.
- It’s 8 g of fresh or 1 tsp fast action yeast.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of caster sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil.
- You need 325 g of warm water.
This recipe is from Delia's Complete How to Cook. Bread Recipes, Buffet food, Accompaniment, Vegetarian recipes; Add to favourites. Print this page. method; Ingredients; Method. Pita bread makes wonderful sandwiches, easy to stuff with your favorite fillings.
Pita bread step by step
- Mix the flours with the salt, yeast (even if using fresh, just crumble it in) and sugar in a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the oil and water and mix to a soft sticky dough. Leave for 10 minutes, then knead briefly by hand or mix with a dough hook attachment. Leave for another 10 minutes, then repeat the kneading twice again. The final dough should be smooth, elastic and stop sticking to your hands and bounce off the sides of the bowl in a standing mixer. Leave covered for 30 minutes..
- Preheat the oven to your highest setting (250C/485F/gas 9, or whatever you can get). Place a baking sheet in the oven to get it very hot..
- Turn the rested dough onto a floured surface and divide into 9-10 pieces, about 90g each. Shape them into balls, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Roll out each ball, one or two at a time, reasonably thin, into oval shapes – about 5mm thick..
- Place one or two pitas on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 3 to 5 minutes until they puff up and only just start to colour. Cool on a wire rack covered with a cloth, to keep them moist..
It is also ideal for scooping up rice and sauce when served with a variety of dishes. Serve alongside hummus and other dips as an appetizer. When removed from the oven, the layers of baked dough remain separated inside the deflated pita, which allows the bread to be opened to form a pocket. However, pita is sometimes baked without pockets and is called "pocket. Pitta is a bread that depends on gluten development for its distinctive form; without it, the dough will not be strong enough to puff up in the oven, yielding a simple flatbread, rather than one.