Chicken biryani recipe. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Fees & T&Cs apply. Your favourite Chicken restaurants available on Deliveroo. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the shallots, onions, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes, until golden-brown.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, tip into a bowl, and add the lemon juice, garam masala, chilli powder and salt. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Drain and set aside, removing the whole spices. You can cook Chicken biryani recipe using 42 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken biryani recipe
- You need of For Rice^^.
- You need 4 cup (700 grams) of basmati rice –, soaked in water for 10 minutes.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- You need 1 of whole bay leaf.
- It’s 6 of black pepper.
- It’s 3-4 of cloves.
- It’s of Water –, to boil rice.
- Prepare 4 teaspoon of salt – or as required.
- It’s of Marinate Chicken ^^.
- Prepare 1 (750 gram) of chicken –, cut in 12 pieces.
- You need 1 cup of yogurt –, divided.
- It’s of Spices ^^.
- You need 2 tablespoon of green chilli paste.
- It’s 3 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste.
- You need 1 tablespoon of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of coriander powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds –,roasted.
- Prepare 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s 2 inch of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoon of all spice powder.
- It’s 5 of cloves.
- You need 2 of black cardamom.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt – or to taste.
- You need of For gravy^^.
- You need of Oil – to fry.
- It’s 5 (400 grams) of potatoes –, cut in large chunks.
- Prepare of oil – to fry.
- It’s 4 (500 grams) of onion –, thinly sliced (or 1 cup fried onions packed).
- You need 4-5 of to (500 grams) tomatoes –, raw pureed.
- It’s 3/4 cup of yogurt –, whipped.
- Prepare 4 of prunes*.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoon of chat masala – (add only if you like spicy food).
- Prepare 1 of fistful coriander leaves –, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of fistful mint leaves –, chopped.
- You need 5 of medium green chillies.
- You need of Assembling (Dum) ^^.
- It’s 4 tablespoon of oil – divided.
- It’s 1 pinch of yellow or orange colour.
- You need 1 pinch of Saffron – soaked (or kewra essence).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water for dum.
Once hot enough, stir in the chopped onions. Now add all the chicken to the pan and your ground spices (chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander, chilli flakes) and the salt and black pepper. Remove from the heat and set to one side. Bring the biryani together in a greased casserole dish preferably with a lid.
Chicken biryani recipe step by step
- Marinate chicken with spices and 4 tablespoon yogurt and let it sit for 20 minutes..
- In a large pot for biryani take water, bay leaf, cumin, black pepper and salt. Bring water to boil then add soaked rice. Mix well so spices release flavors. Cook rice until 70% cooked then drain all water and keep rice in strainer until required. (Mix little oil in rice to avoid sticking.).
- For gravy: In a wok, fry potatoes with a pinch of salt until golden brown, transfer potatoes to paper towel and set aside. In same oil, fry sliced onions until crispy golden. Drain oil on a paper towel and spread on a single layer to crisp. Crush onion with hand or in a food processor and mix in marinated chicken..
- In same wok, leave only ½ cup oil and (remove extra oil) cook marinated chicken for 7 minutes until colour changes then add tomato puree and cook further for 10-15 until all tomato water dries and oil separates. Your chicken should be tender by now or cook further as needed. Sear chicken (bhunofy) well for rich taste. Now add whipped yogurt,and bring gravy to a boil. Now, mix in chat masala (if using) potato, prunes, mint, coriander and green chilles, mix well. Chicken gravy is ready..
- Assembling In the large thick bottom rice pot smear 2 tablespoon oil in bottom. Make first layer of ⅓ rice in the bottom then add a layer of half of chicken gravy. Now make second layer of ⅓ rice and another layer of chicken gravy dividing chicken and potato evenly in each layer. Finally, add third layer of ⅓ rice. Add another 2 tablespoon of oil on top of rice..
- Mix orange colour, saffron and water together. Spread evenly over the rice. (You may also add kewra water along with saffron) Cover pot with foil to seal the steam. Cover with lid too. Keep the pot for dum for 15-20 minutes until rice are fully cooked and steam rise to the top when lid is removed. Mix rice with a large flat spoon or a small plate. (Do not over mix to break grains.) And serve hot with raita and kachumber..
- Notes Rice are most important thing in biryani. Boil rice should be aromat with spices. Make sure your are under-cooked when you boil because we’ll cook again for 20 minutes. Searing (bhunofying) is most important step in making gravy.The yogurt you add later with restore water content of gravy but if your gravy is too dry add little extra water..
Have your rice, cooked chicken, saffron milk, ghee, caramelised onions and chopped coriander and mint to hand. Marinate the chicken in greek yoghurt, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat. Add the green cardamom and cumin seeds fry for a few seconds. Chicken Biryani is a community recipe submitted by Mithai and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.