Ham & Bean Soup. Ham is pork from a leg cut that has been preserved by wet or dry curing, with or without smoking. As a processed meat, the term "ham" includes both whole cuts of meat and ones that have been mechanically formed. Ham is made around the world, including a number of regional specialties, such as Westphalian ham and some varieties of Spanish jamón.
Various factors influence the flavour and texture of ham including the cut and curing process chosen, whether the meat has been dry. Once the ham is ready to cook, put the joint into a large pan, cover with fresh cold water and add the leeks, onion, carrot, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid then. You can cook Ham & Bean Soup using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ham & Bean Soup
- Prepare 1 pound of Northern beans.
- Prepare 1 of large ham shank.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic minced.
- It’s 1 of medium stalk celery.
- It’s 2 cups of shredded carrots.
- Prepare 7 cups of chicken broth.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tbsp of dried parsley.
- You need 1/2 tsp of celery salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of dried minced onion.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of mustard powder.
Soaking the gammon in water to remove saltiness is generally a thing of the past but check with your butcher or look at pack instructions to be sure. To start, weigh your meat to calculate cooking times. The shank end of the ham is typically fattier while the butt end is leaner and easier to slice. Cure: Unless the ham is sold as fresh, the hams are cured, which can mean wet-cured (brined) or dry-cured.
Ham & Bean Soup step by step
- Rince and drain beans and add to crockpot.
- Add 1 large ham hock or shank.
- Add all other ingredients and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Take ham shank out and discard bones and cartilage.
- Add meat back to soup and add more ham if necessary. I used leftovers, cook for another 30 minutes.
Brine-cured ham is soaked in a liquid-salt mixture before being smoked and is the most common variety of ham. This classic, winning combination of ham and asparagus works so well in this creamy tart. Sausages made using our own recipes to guarantee perfect flavour and texture every time. Latest news, sport, and things to do for Hampstead, Highgate, Camden and the surrounding London areas from the Ham & High. HAM follows the contented life of Rabbit; capturing his daily adventures, sporting escapades.