Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls. Yaki Onigiri (焼きおにぎり) is traditionally made by grilling rice balls over charcoal until the rice starts to brown and crisp. Then they're brushed with either miso or soy sauce and then roasted until the seasoning forms a toasty caramelized glaze on the outside of the onigiri. Yaki onigiri, or grilled rice balls, are shaped balls of rice, with or without filling, that are grilled until the rice is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
With a crispy crust on the outside and soft sticky rice on the inside, these rice balls are simply irresistible and easy to make at home! Today I'm going to share Yaki Onigiri (焼きおにぎり) recipe. Yaki onigiri is a type of Japanese rice ball that has been grilled. You can cook Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls using 3 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls
- Prepare 250 g of cooked rice.
- You need 1 tsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of soy sauce for the final touch.
The word "yaki" means grilled in Japanese and I think nowadays many people know what onigiri are. If not, they are basically little triangular-shaped balls of rice. Yaki onigiri is most commonly coated in soy sauce but the name itself just means grilled rice ball. The dish itself is quite simple – it's a Japanese rice ball that has been brushed with a mixture of soy sauce and mirin, and grilled over charcoal to give it a smoky taste.
Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls instructions
- Mix the rice and 1 tsp soy sauce well in a mixing bowl..
- Make 2 triangle shaped rice balls. *Using plastic wrap makes it easier..
- Place the rice balls onto a non-stick frying pan and grill them on medium low heat. Once one side gets nicely charred, turn them over and grill until the other side gets charred as well..
- Brush the surfaces of the rice balls with 1/2tsp soy sauce and keep them grilled to get them nicely browned..
It's usually served as a pair and comes with nori sheets that can be wrapped around the rice balls. The term yaki onigiri literally means "grilled rice ball". Yaki Onigiri (焼きおにぎり) are Japanese grilled rice balls coated in a sweet & savoury soy sauce with a crispy smoky crust on the outside. Learn how to make this popular Japanese dish easily at home. They're freezer friendly, portable and great for packed lunches too!