Perfect Pita Bread. Most pitta recipes call for white flour, and generally of the high-protein, strong variety, although Yvonne Ruperti on the US-based Serious Eats website uses plain flour, both white and wholemeal,. Bring the mixture together into a soft dough. Don't worry if it looks a little rough round the edges.
This is crucial since you need to seal the outside of the pita quickly while at the same time quickly creating steam inside that will puff them up. Remove the hot tray from the oven, dust with flour and place the pitta breads on it. You may have to cook them in batches. You can cook Perfect Pita Bread using 7 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Perfect Pita Bread
- Prepare of flour (1 1/2 US cup or 360 ml).
- You need of dry active yeast.
- You need of sugar.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of olive or vegetable oil.
- Prepare of warm water (1/2 cup), plus maybe a bit more.
- Prepare of Flour for dusting, as needed.
Flip it over and cook for one minute. Then flip it again, and cook for a final minute. Remove the bread and immediately wrap it in a clean kitchen towel. In batches of one or two, place flattened disc on pizza stone at back of oven.
Perfect Pita Bread instructions
- Put flour, yeast, salt, and sugar into bowl. Mix, then add oil and warm water. Mix with spoon or spatula until you can form dough into a ball..
- Dough should be a little moist but not super sticky. Add a little water at a time if needed. If you add too much, mix in more flour..
- When you have a knead-able dough, dust a surface with flour. Remove dough from bowl and knead for about 5 minutes with palm of hand..
- You want to form a smooth ball like this 🙂 When finished, grease a large bowl with a little oil, and put ball of dough in..
- Cover with wrap and let rise for about one hour in a warm spot until fluffy, about double in size..
- Preheat oven to 500F/260C. Meanwhile, remove puffy dough from bowl, squish out air, forming into a ball again..
- Separate into three even pieces..
- Roll out into about 5-inch/12-cm rounds on a floured surface..
- Lay out a baking sheet or lightly grease your baking pan. Lay out pitas on pan and let rest for 15 minutes, uncovered..
- Make sure your oven has had plenty of time to preheat; you want it hot! Put pitas on bottom rack (if you have one) and bake for 5-6 minutes. They should puff up, if not, let bake an extra minute. (if they don't puff up, the oven wasn't hot enough).
- Move pitas to the top or middle rack of oven and bake another two minutes to brown..
- Wrap in a kitchen cloth to keep soft until serving..
- Pitas are perhaps best filled with plenty of falafel 😉 I have some recipes for falafel posted in the story section above!.
Using metal tongs, remove pita from oven and wrap immediately in a towel. Pita bread is traditionally placed in bread ovens, where the bottoms are very hot. Placing your dough on the bottom rack can give your pita bread the same effect. One of the secrets to perfect pita bread is yeast. Use a new packet or fresh yeast to be sure the dough can proof properly.