Spanish/Mexican Rice. Awesome Recipes for Dinner & Breakfast by Our Professional Chefs. Our Collection of Dessert Recipes Has a Sweet Treat for any Occasion. Restaurant-Style Spanish Rice (aka Mexican Rice), that is easy to make and tastes like it came straight from the restaurant, and is the best side dish to any Mexican entree.
Spanish rice is the perfect accompaniment to Mexican foods, chicken, or just about anything. This simple recipe uses chicken broth and chunky salsa to transform plain white rice into a marvelous side dish. It's actually a Mexican dish, sometimes called Mexican rice or arroz rojo ("red rice" in Spanish). You can have Spanish/Mexican Rice using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spanish/Mexican Rice
- Prepare 4 cup of rice.
- You need 1 medium of tomato.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 1/4 of onion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of peppercron&cumen mix.
- It’s 2 tsp of korr caldo de tomate w/ 'chicken flavor. or some kind of chicken flavoring. 1/2cup of chkn stock would even work.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 8 cup of water.
It gets its red color from cooking it with tomatoes. Rice dishes in Spain are usually yellow colored from using saffron. The country's best known rice dish is paella! The terms "Spanish rice" and "Mexican Rice" are often used interchangeably and include some combination of tomatoes, onion, chicken bouillon (consomé), and other spices.
Spanish/Mexican Rice instructions
- in a large skillet,or pot. medium heat. add oil and rice. (enough oil to coat all the rice evenly).
- in a blender, blend together tomato, onion, garlic and a bit of water to smooth it out. blend well. set aside.
- in a spice grinder, grind the peppercron & cumen mix. set aside.
- make sure to keep stirring your rice, you CANNOT let it burn. keep the rice moving til its has a golden brown color to it.
- when your rice starts browning up make sure to turn the heat down and keep mixing don't let it burn. add the tomato, onion, garlic & also add the ground cumen& peppercron mix. stirring occasionally.
- add about 3 cups of water right away. mix in chicken seasoning(ckn stock) whatever u have).
- let it simmer on low heat, covered. checking constantly. to make sure your rice don't dry up and burn..
- DO NOT MIX YOUR RICE after u have combined all ur ingredients well and started simmering. add water occasionally, til your rice is tender and puffy. or ready according to package..
True "Spanish" rice (like paella) from Spain would include saffron, but we'll put aside the semantics for this delicious dish. Spanish rice is essentially a rice pilaf, but with southwestern flavorings. To make it you brown the raw rice first with onions and garlic, and then cook the rice in chicken broth with added tomatoes. The browning is essential to the nutty, almost toasty flavor of the rice. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.