Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. How to make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker: Combine onion, peppers, jalapenos, white beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, and chicken stock in a slow cooker (<-my fave!), then add taco seasoning. Mix all the ingredients together and add the chicken breasts.
Turn the slow cooker on high so it warms up while you prep the rest of the recipe. Dice the sweet peppers and onion and place on top of the chicken. Drain and rise the pinto beans, black beans, and corn. You can cook Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- You need of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- It’s of water.
- Prepare of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- Prepare of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- It’s of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- You need of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- You need of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- It’s of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare of cumin.
- You need of dried oregano.
- You need of bay leaves.
- It’s of kosher salt to start.
- Prepare of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Prepare of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- You need of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- You need of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Variations vegetarian – substitute black or pinto beans for the chicken and vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, lima beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. Instructions In slow cooker combine: chicken broth, chicken breasts, garlic, onion, tomatoes, green chilies, corn, shredded potatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup step by step
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
Sprinkle with seasoning and toss to coat. Category Gluten Free Recipes Grain free Slow Cooker Soups/Stews. Set your slow cooker to low. Tip in the onion, celery, carrots and leeks and nestle in the bunch of herbs. Sit the chicken on top of the veg and pour over the stock.