Chelo-kabab. The Chelo kebab is the national dish of Iran. Served on skewers over a bed of rice, this recipe is basic, yet full of flavor. You may prefer to grill this over a charcoal grill than over a gas grill because the flavor is much better.
It is considered the " national dish " of Iran, and was probably created by the time of the Qajar dynasty. For chelo, the rice is parboiled, and then fried in a pan, covered with a cloth, and steamed with butter and salt, creating a crispy, golden crust on the bottom. I cut back on the butter and salt, but the rice still forms a good crust, known as tah dig. You can cook Chelo-kabab using 25 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chelo-kabab
- You need of Minced meat (goat/lamb/beef).
- You need of breast chicken (cut in cubes).
- You need of basmati rice.
- You need of shrimps (peeled and cleaned).
- Prepare of For meat (I used mutton,spices).
- Prepare of cardamom,2-3 cloves,1 cinnamon, 5-6 whole peppercorns, 2 red chilis (all grounded).
- It’s of cumin powder.
- Prepare of coriander powder.
- You need of ginger paste.
- Prepare of large onions (peeled, cut and pasted).
- You need of garlic pods.
- Prepare of green chilis.
- Prepare of For chicken/shrimp grill.
- Prepare of tandoori paste.
- You need of yoghurt.
- It’s of red chili powder.
- You need of coriander leaves.
- Prepare of lime wedge.
- Prepare of capsicum.
- It’s of onion.
- Prepare of tomato.
- Prepare of red/yellow pepper.
- You need of egg poached.
- Prepare of butter.
- It’s of flour/corn starch.
The main recipe that I am sharing today to accompany our rice is called chelo kabab (chelow kabob or chelo kebab), literally white rice with kebab. The particular variant of meat kabob that I prepared is called koobideh (kubideh), a ground beef kebab. Today, rice is served throughout Iran. Take a mixture and hook kebabs on flat skewers.
- Mix the onion, ginger garlic, ground spices with the meat and keep it overnight.
- Knead well with flour/corn starch for the meat mixture to thicken..
- Prepare the skewers (I used the bamboo ones so wet it 10mins beforehand), apply oil in palms and take the meat mix in small batches and evenly spread over skewers. Put in the oven at 375 deg f for 20 min turning in between.
- For the chicken marination use yoghurt, tandoori and ginger paste with peppercorns, prepare the skewers with capsicum, onion bell peppers..
- For plating put the poached egg on top of rice with dollop of butter.
On griddle,add oil and grill/panfry kebabs on medium low flame "Kabab Barg" or "Kabab e Barg" (which literally translates to leaf kebab), in another original and delicious Persian kebab prepared with marinated and barbecued fillets of beef tenderloin or lamb shank, served with barbecued tomatoes and white or saffron rice. Iranian people usually enjoy this elegant kebab in traditional restaurants. Drain soaked rice and add to boiling water. Chelow kebab is the national dish of Iran, which is generally served with saffron basmati rice and accompanied with a grilled tomato. In olden days putting a raw egg yolk on top of the rice was very common which is no longer in practice.