Chicken and Nagaimo Stew. Find Your Favorite Movies & Shows On Demand. This Caribbean chicken stew recipe comes from Trinidadian recipe writer, Shivi Ramoutar. Shivi says: "Ma's stew chicken with rice and peas, and macaroni pie, was our family's steadfast Sunday comfort lunch from our childhood in Trinidad to now, and it always takes me back to a happy place.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until chicken is brown. If using fresh tomatoes, blend tomatoes, onions, garlic, and onions. Pour the tomatoes blend in the pot of. You can have Chicken and Nagaimo Stew using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Nagaimo Stew
- It’s 2 lbs of – Boneless Chicken Thighs.
- Prepare 1 piece of – Nagaimo.
- Prepare 1 inch of – Ginger Chopped.
- Prepare 6 cloves of – Garlic Chopped.
- Prepare 3/4 cups of – Regular Olive Oil.
- You need 2 pcs of – Dried Whole Red Pepper Breaked to Pieces.
- It’s 1 pc of – Star Aniseed.
- It’s 10 pcs of – Sichuan Peppercorns.
- It’s 2 tbsps of – Cooking Wine.
- You need 1 tbsp of – Light Soy Sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of – Dark Soy Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of – Broad Bean Chili Oil Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tsp of – Salt.
- It’s of Green Onions or Cilantro for Topping.
Careful with the cayenne when adding to taste, it's extremely spicy. I liked to add ¼ tsp of cayenne, which gives the stew a nice spicy kick. Stir the mixture and bring to a boil. Heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a medium heat.
Chicken and Nagaimo Stew instructions
- Cut chicken thighs to small pieces. Peel off the skin of nagaimo..
- Cut nagaimo to small cubes. Nagaimo is gluey which is kind of like okra..
- Chop ginger and garlic to fine pieces..
- Heat the oil in a wok at high heat. Add Sichuan peppercorns, red pepper and star aniseed. When the oil starts to bubble around the dry spices, add ginger and garlic..
- When the garlic aroma comes out and before garlic turns brown, add chicken. Stir fry till it turns white, add cooing wine..
- Keep stirring the chicken now and then till the water from chicken evaporates. Then the meat gets camerelized color and sticky to the wok. It might take 20 minutes cooking to get this point..
- Turn to medium heat to prevent burning. Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and broad bean chili oil sauce. Stir evenly..
- Add water to the level that barely cover the chicken. High heat till it is boiling, add nagaimo..
- Add salt. Simmer for 20 minutes or till the dish gets "starchy". Stir now and then to prevent burning. Serve with some cliantros or green onions. Enjoy!.
- Tips: For gluten free option, replace the dark soy sauce and light soy sauce with the same amount of Tamari gluten free soy sauce. It takes a while at step 6, but it helps to get the best texture of chicken thighs..
Meanwhile, pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Utterly comforting and delicious, and still really easy, chicken stew never fails to please. Try the Hairy Bikers' Chicken paprika, or Gennaro's classic Italian Chicken cacciatore. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or heatproof casserole. Fry the chorizo slices until crisp then transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon.