Mama's Southern Potato Salad. Food you never knew you wanted. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! After they cool, peel them and chop them.
Put cooked potatoes and chopped eggs in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise, celery, pickle relish, and mustard. Mix all of the ingredients until. You can cook Mama's Southern Potato Salad using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
- It’s 4-6 of Med to Large Russet potatoes or 8-10 Red potatoes (Using russets in the pictures).
- You need 4 of Large Eggs (or more if you like, my family does, so I use 6, at least).
- It’s 1 of Med Sweet onion or 1 Bundle Green Onions (Optional) Using sweet onion for these pics.
- It’s 1 1/2 c. of Mayonnaise (Maybe a little more or less to taste).
- You need 1/3 c. of Sweet Relish.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of (of each) Spicy, Honey Dijon, and Reg. Mustard.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of Creole Seasoning (More or Less depending on how you like your spice level!! You can buy at the grocery store but I also have a homemade recipe for it as well, on my page).
- You need 1/4 c. of Bacon Bits or 2-3 slices of bacon, fried and broken up.
- You need 2-3 of Roasted Garlic Cloves minced and chopped up (Easy, EASY recipe also available for Roasted Garlic on my page) or Couple tbsp Minced garlic, Garlic Salt or Powder will work too.
- Prepare To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
The secret to my Mom's potato salad is in how you cook the potatoes. Instructions First, wash and chop the potatoes into manageable, bite-size, cubes and put them into a large pot. While the potatoes are cooking, press the tofu for the Vegan Hard Boiled Egg Crumble and whip up a batch of our no-cook. Now, add the chopped celery, onion, and dill.
Mama's Southern Potato Salad step by step
- Get the potatoes in heavily salted water, begin to slowly boil, to be able to add eggs. Add eggs when boiling starts. Cover and let boil for another 10 – 15 min..
- While the boiling is going on, prepare the onions and precooked garlic (if that's what your using, this is the garlic in the pic) Chop or dice both very finely..
- This is the chopped onion..
- Once the boiling is finished. Drain the water off of the potatoes and eggs. Cool down easiest way possible…. for me I drain the hot water off and add cold water, then refrigerate while getting other ingredients together. If I'm in a hurry I do an ice bath, pull off the heat, drain, then add ice and cold, COLD water to it. Let it sit for a few min then begin the peeling process. This way the skins of the potatoes will peel straight off with your fingers, nothing else needed..
- Once potatoes are peeled, dice LARGELY!! Peel eggs and dice LARGELY, as well. When you mix everything it will come together great, so go BIGGER on cutting up the POTATOES N EGGS!! That's kinda the great thing about this recipe your cuts don't have to be perfect!! Go ahead and add garlic and seasoning (salt, pepper, creole, ect.) and stir it up!!.
- Last step!! Mix it all together!!! Add the mustard, mayo, relish!! The longer you can let it sit, and marinate, it makes it better. I usually make mine the night before and that's the way my family likes it!!.
Mama's Southern Potato Salad & Deviled Eggs Deviled eggs and potato salad the way mama always made it. Delicious recipe for those who don't already know how to. I love the potato salad home made also. I usually dice the red skin potatoes or Yukon Gold and I leave the skin on.