Classic Red Beans and Rice. Browse & Discover Thousands of Cooking Food & Wine Book Titles, for Less. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Sort beans and rinse with cold water.
Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight. Add beans, sausage, broth, ham hock, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, thyme, and pepper. Remove bay leaves from pot; discard. You can have Classic Red Beans and Rice using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Classic Red Beans and Rice
- You need 2 tsp of goya Olive Oil.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Ham, chopped.
- It’s 1/3 cup of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of green pepper, chopped.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of Goya Tomato Sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 can of 10.5oz Goya red kidney beans, undrained.
- Prepare 1/2 packages of Sazon Goya con Culantro y Achiote.
Place a lid on top, turn the heat on to high, and bring it up to a boil. Combine water, red beans, and ham hock in a large pot; bring to a boil. Stir onion mixture into the water; add smoked sausage and celery to the boiling water; return to a boil. Red Beans and Rice is one of the most iconic dishes of south Louisiana, and rightfully so.
Classic Red Beans and Rice instructions
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat..
- Add ham, onions,pepper and garlic; cook 7-10 minutes..
- Stir in remaning ingredients. Bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes..
- Serve over hot white rice..
This is one easy and delicious meal! Red Beans and Rice is traditionally served on Mondays in New Orleans. Oftentimes, restaurants will feature red beans as their Monday special. The beans could simmer unattended while the cook was busy with the laundry and other chores. It was a perfect fit, easily feeding a crowd and being versatile enough to tailor according to what was in the pantry.