Grandma’s Southern Potato Salad. Remove them from the pot to let them cool down. We want them to be cooked enough yet still firm. Then get a large pot, cover them with water, bring to a boil and cook for.
Transfer the cooked, but not mushy potatoes, to a colander. Run them under cold water to stop the. Southern Potato Salad is super creamy with a blend of mayonnaise and mustard, hard-boiled eggs, sweet onion, sweet pickle relish, and celery. You can have Grandma’s Southern Potato Salad using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Grandma’s Southern Potato Salad
- You need 5 lbs of russet potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise.
- It’s 2 tbsp of yellow mustard.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- You need To taste of pepper.
- You need 1/4 cup of dill relish.
- You need 4 of boiled eggs.
It is a potluck must and the only recipe for potato salad you need. There's nothing like a bowl of good old-fashioned southern Potato Salad. A go to potato salad recipe is something everyone needs to have on hand. Southern Potato Salad, family gatherings are not the same without Mama's potato salad, cubed potatoes, chopped onions, chopped dill pickles, chopped boiled eggs, and mayonnaise with a little mustard.
Grandma’s Southern Potato Salad step by step
- We’ll start with the eggs. Bring a pot of salted water to full boil, add the eggs and let boil for about 10 minutes. Remove them from the pot to let them cool down..
- Secondly, boil the potatoes. We want them to be cooked enough yet still firm. First, peel the skins off. Then get a large pot, cover them with water, bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes as well. You can put them in an ice bath once done if you’re in a hurry but I just let them cool off naturally..
- Once the potatoes are sufficiently cooled, chop them up into cubes and add them to a large dish. Peel the eggs and chop them up then add them to the same dish. Finally, peel and chop the onion and add it to the dish..
- Add the mustard, mayo, dill relish and as much salt and pepper as you want. Mix extremely well..
- Refrigerate overnight before serving and enjoy!!.
The secret to my Mom's potato salad is in how you cook the potatoes. She always said you have to cook them with a tablespoon of salt in the water. She told me you can never get the right flavor in. Run a knife through them until they are cut into bite-sized pieces. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, and onion powder.