Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Bring The French Quarter To Your Kitchen With Zatarain's® Recipes & Ideas For Inspiration. Great recipe for Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. Quicker version of traditional red beans and rice.
Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style. In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, celery, green bell pepper, and garlic until tender. You can have Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style
- Prepare 1 of Green Bell Pepper – diced.
- It’s 3 (15.5 oz) cans of Red Beans (rinsed and drained). The cans should be labeled Red Beans (not kidney beans)… Sometimes smaller groceries won't carry this kind of canned bean. You can always substitute dry Red beans (prepped) and use broth instead of water.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic – minced.
- You need 3-4 stalks of celery – diced.
- Prepare 1 of onion – diced.
- It’s 1 lb of Andouille Sausage.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of rubbed sage.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 2 cup of water.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of Hot sauce (Tabasco or similar) or to taste.
Add the smoked sausage, Neelys Dry Rub, thyme, salt and pepper. There are a fair amount of ingredients here, but thanks to your Instant Pot, there's really not much work beyond the initial slicing and dicing needed to make your mise en place. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low.
Shorty's Red Beans and Rice – Easy style instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dice up onion, bell pepper, and celery into bean-sized bits as indicated above.
- Brown andouille sausage over medium/high heat in a separate pan. Should be slightly browned and crispy when done.
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic half about 5 minutes after beginning to sauté. Continue to sauté until the onions are translucent but not brown..
- Add water to sautéed vegetables..
- Add rinsed and drained red beans to the vegetables and broth.
- Add cumin, cayenne, and bayleaf to vegetable mixture.
- Bring bean/veggies to a simmer.
- After the beans come to a simmer, add a smidgen of water (2 tbsp) to the pan with the fried andouille. Then pour the browned andouille and the juice into to the beans..
- Place your pot of beans covered into the oven on 350F for 45 minutes. Consider starting the rice while this is in the oven.
- Begin cooking rice of your choosing (white and plain brown are tastey choices).
- Optional method to thicken the beans: 10-15 min before done cooking, scoop 1/2 cup of the broth into a cup. Add 1 tablespoon of corn starch, and dissolve in the liquid. Pour back into the pot and allow to cook remaining time..
- Serve over rice of your choosing.
The Best Easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe: This Louisiana Creole Dish is bold and comforting. Learn How To Make Red Beans and Rice like it's done in the south!. Easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe (Our Favorite Version!) Red Beans and Rice is a nostalgic dish for many people. If you grew up in New Orleans, or at least in the deep south, you know exactly what I am talking about. This quick and easy red beans and rice recipe is always a crowdpleaser!