Pot roast with balsamic and mustard. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Great recipe for Pot roast with balsamic and mustard. This is a spin on a classic family dinner. The wine that's in a lot of pot roast recipes has been swapped for a really good, well-aged balsamic, and partnered with a hit of grainy mustard for zing.
Pour in the beef broth and add the thyme sprigs. Remove the roast from oven and brush with the remaining balsamic mustard. Transfer roast to a cutting board and loosely tent with foil. You can cook Pot roast with balsamic and mustard using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pot roast with balsamic and mustard
- Prepare 1-1.75 of to 2 kg beef blade roast.
- It’s 3 of large carrots, chopped into 2 cm pieces.
- It’s 3 of celery sticks, roughly chopped.
- You need 2 of large onions, thinly sliced.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of high quality balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare 4 cups of beef stock.
- You need 2 tbsp of grainy mustard.
- Prepare 3 of large waxy potatoes, peeled and n cut into 8 chunks.
In a large slow cooker, whisk together broth, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, mustard and garlic. Place roast in the centre, scoop a few spoonfuls of the sauce on top and cover. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Place the beef on the sheet pan.
Pot roast with balsamic and mustard instructions
- Preheat your oven to 300 F. Add a few tbsp veg oil to a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Season the beef liberally with salt and pepper, and sear it in the pot until browned on all sides. Remove the meat..
- Add the carrots and celery to the pot. Let fry for 3 to 4 minutes until they take on a bit of colour, then remove them to a plate..
- Add the onions to the pot. If needed, refresh the veg oil with a small splash. Fry the onions until soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and balsamic. If using regular store-bought balsamic, double the amount and let it reduce for a few minutes..
- Return the meat to the pot. Sprinkle the veg around the meat. Pour in enough stock to cover the meat halfway, and add the mustard. Put on the lid, and roast in the oven for 2 1/2 hours..
- Pull out the pot and carefully turn the meat over. Put the lid back on and return it to the oven for 1 hour..
- Pull the pot out again and add the potatoes. Put it back in the oven and let roast a final 1 1/2 hours..
- Transfer the pot from the oven to the stove, on medium-high heat. Remove the meat to a platter and tent it with foil. Remove the veg, careful not to break up the potatoes. Let the sauce simmer and reduce by about half. If your meat had enough fat and connective tissue, it should be pretty thick already. If not, whisk in a slurry of water and a bit of cornstarch. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and pepper to taste..
Combine the mustard, vinegar, and salt in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on the filet and. Season roast with a good amount of salt and pepper. Heat oil in the Instant Pot and set to 'Saute'. Add the onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, balsamic, mustard, brown sugar, thyme and bouillon.