Nasi Lemak. Nasi lemak, a spicy coconut rice, is the national dish of Malaysia, where it is eaten for breakfast. If that is a little too adventurous, it makes a great weekend dinner for friends. Nasi lemak is a dish originating in Malay cuisine that consists of fragrant rice cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf.
In Indonesia it can be found in several parts of Sumatra. Nasi lemak – Malaysian coconut milk rice, served with sambal, fried crispy anchovies, toasted peanuts and cucumber. This is the best and most authentic nasi lemak recipe! You can cook Nasi Lemak using 28 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Nasi Lemak
- You need of Rice.
- You need 1/3 can of coconut milk.
- You need 100 ml of water.
- Prepare 2 of pandan leaves (tear them up and tie).
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 slices of ginger.
- Prepare 1 of small shallot (thinly sliced).
- You need 1/2 of lemon grass.
- Prepare of Sambal.
- You need 15 of dried red chillies (cleaned, deseeded, soaked).
- It’s 4 of garlic.
- Prepare 6 of big shallots.
- Prepare 2 slices of galangal.
- It’s 1 tsp of belachan powder / belachan.
- It’s of Main.
- Prepare 20 of Fried anchovies.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 2 of boiled egg.
- It’s 1 of cucumber (sliced).
- Prepare 1/2 of sweet onion (thinly sliced).
- It’s of peanuts.
- It’s of Chicken.
- You need 2 tbsp of belachan.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- It’s of potato starch.
- Prepare 1 of chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
Nasi Lemak is the de facto national dish of Malaysia. For the nasi lemak Prepare the coconut rice: Wash the rice by gently rubbing it with your fingers in a bowl filled with water. When the water becomes cloudy, drain the water and repeat the process until the water is clear. Place the rice in a large saucepan and add the salt, garlic, ginger, pandan leaves, coconut milk, and water.
Nasi Lemak step by step
- Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours..
- Cook rice in the rice cooker, add all ingredients (expect coconut milk) and 1 3/4 cup of water first to cook the rice..
- Once rice is cooked, open the lid and stir the rice and add coconut milk in. Heat for about 5 mins..
- Blend the ingredients for the sambal..
- In a pot, add sambal paste and oil..
- Then add the 1/2 onions, fried anchovies, salt and sugar. (do not add fried shallots, it will make it bitter!).
- Cover chicken with the potato starch and deep fried it..
- Cook the rice now..
- Serve rice with peanuts, cucumber, sambal and chicken..
Nasi lemak literally means 'rice' and 'fat'. However, the 'fat' refers to the creaminess of the coconut milk which is used in cooking the rice. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together coconut milk, water, ground ginger, ginger root, salt, bay leaf, and rice. Cover, and bring to a boil. Nasi Lemak means Creamy Rice in Malay.