Souvlaki. Your favourite restaurants and takeaways available on Deliveroo. CDs, Vinyls, Downloads & More A souvlaki wrap is a popular Greek street food you may have seen popping up in cities all over the UK. They can be served with toasted pittas or flatbreads and with plenty of fresh toppings.
Skewers of marinated meat are cooked over an open fire – it can be lamb, pork and chicken. The accompaniments are usually tomatoes, red onion and tzatziki wrapped in soft pitta bread. In some tavernas, they serve chips stuffed inside the pitta too. You can have Souvlaki using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Souvlaki
- You need 600 grams of diced chicken thighs or breast.
- You need 2 of heaped tbsp of oregano.
- Prepare 2 of heaped tbsp of mint.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sweet paprika.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s of Juice of a lemon.
- Prepare of Generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- It’s 4 of large cloves of garlic chopped.
- Prepare of Optional.
- It’s 1 of halloumi block diced into 20 cubes.
Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and add the meat. Marinate for an hour or so. Thread the cubes of meat on to skewers. Souvlaki (Greek: σουβλάκι [suˈvlaci]), plural souvlakia, is a popular Greek fast food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer.
- Dice the chicken and place into a large bowl, then add the oil, herbs, spices, lemon and seasoning..
- Dice the garlic and halloumi..
- Add it to the bowl mix well and leave to marinade..
- After is absorbed all the lovely flavours thread onto skewers..
- Take a large frying pan or griddle heat on a high heat and sear the chicken until golden and cooked through!.
- Simply serve with salad and yogurt and flatbreads!! Yamas !.
It is usually eaten straight off the skewer while still hot. To make the celeriac slaw, mix the celeriac with the yoghurt, garlic, cumin and lemon juice. Season with a little salt and pepper. Souvlaki stands for "meat-on-a-skewer", however the majority of Greeks and especially those from Athens call any type of pita wrapped meat a souvlaki, specifying the type of meat and method of roasting separately. For example Souvlaki with chicken Gyros or Souvlaki with pork Skewers etc.