Butter Chicken. From the restaurant to your doorstep. Favourite restaurants in your area, ready to take your order. Serve with rice, naan bread, chutney, coriander and lime wedges, if you like.
This is a simple home version of butter chicken, also known as 'murgh' or 'chicken makhani'. This is best served with naan or you can also serve this with basmati rice. Created by Kundan Lal Gujral, you may notice that Butter Chicken (known as murgh makhani — chicken with butter), is similar to British tikka masala. You can cook Butter Chicken using 26 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Butter Chicken
- You need of Chicken Marinade.
- Prepare 1 1/2-2 of lbs. Chicken Breast or Thighs (Diced Bite Size).
- It’s 3/4 Cup of Plain Yogurt (Or Sour Cream + a Splash of Milk).
- It’s 4 Cloves of Garlic Minced.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Ginger (Minced or Grated).
- Prepare 2 tsp of Garam Masala.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of Turmeric (Or Saffron for Color).
- You need 1 tsp of Kashmiri Red Pepper Powder (Or More To Taste).
- Prepare of Gravy.
- You need 4 Tbsp of Olive or Veg Oil (Divided).
- You need 2 Tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 1 (15 oz.) of Can Crushed or Diced Tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of Onion Diced.
- You need 4 Cloves of Garlic Minced.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Ginger (Minced or Grated).
- You need 1 Tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Garam Masala.
- You need 2 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Ground Coriander.
- It’s 1 tsp of Kashmiri Red Pepper Powder (Or More To Taste).
- You need 1 tsp of Kasoori Methi.
- Prepare 1-1 1/2 Cups of Whole Milk or Cream.
- You need of Cilantro (For Garnish).
Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is no longer pink. Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan and add the butter. Add green cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Add the grated ginger and slit green chillies.
Butter Chicken step by step
- Dice Chicken and prepare Marinade. Put everything into a bowl or large Ziploc bag. Cover and Refrigerate for 30 Minutes to overnight. Overnight is ideal..
- In a Large Skillet, heat 2 or 3 Tbsp of Oil over Medium Heat. When hot, add the Chicken. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until both sides are browned. Do not overcrowd the pan, and cook Chicken in batches, if necessary. The Chicken will finish cooking in the gravy, so don't worry about it being 100% cooked. Remove Chicken, set aside and keep warm..
- In the same Skillet, heat the rest of the Oil and the Butter over Medium Heat. Add Onions. Cook until they start to soften and look translucent, about 5 Minutes. Add Garlic and Ginger and cook for another 1 to 2 Minutes. Add Cumin, Coriander, and Garam Masala. Stir while allowing the herbs to toast for about a Minute..
- Add Tomatoes, Salt, and Kashmiri Red Pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently for about 10 Minutes, or until Tomato mixture is thick and Dark Red/Brown..
- Turn off heat. Spoon Tomato Mixture into a Blender, and blend until smooth. Add some Milk to the Blender if Tomatoes are too thick. Pour Gravy back into Skillet. Pour in Milk, Sugar, and Kasoori Methi. Stir well. Add Chicken back to Skillet. Heat to Medium and cook for another 10 Minutes or so, until the Chicken is fully cooked and the Gravy is thick and hot..
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve over some Jasmine Rice. Enjoy!.
Remove the gnarly chicken from the pan and go in with the tomatoes, chopped chillies and cashew butter. The secret to the tender, flavour infused chicken is a spice infused yogurt marinade made with fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice and spices. The spices in Butter Chicken are turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder and cumin. You don't need copious amounts of butter for a great Butter Chicken! Our founder Saransh Goila has single-handedly turned butter chicken into a religion in India.