Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch). Beef Curry Heat cooking oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and stir fry until translucent. Then add the beef, mix well and cook them until the beef is brown all over.
Make the Curry Roux Put a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and flour to the pot. Season the steak with salt and pepper. You can cook Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch) using 22 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch)
- You need 250 g of Beef (slice thinly).
- It’s 70 of Yellow Onions (diced neatly).
- Prepare 1/2 (80 g) of Fuji Apple (chopped finely).
- Prepare 70 g of Celery (diced neatly).
- It’s 60 g of Carrots (diced neatly).
- Prepare 100 g of Potatoes (diced neatly).
- You need 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of S&B Curry Powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 2 pinches (2 g) of Salt.
- You need 1-2 cup of Stock/Water.
- You need of [Curry Roux];.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Flour.
- You need 1 Tbsp of S&B Curry Powder.
- It’s 0.5-1 cup of Water/Stock.
- It’s of [Quick Katsu Sauce recipe];.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of Tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Kikkoman Light Soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Sugar.
And now we present to you the recipe! Behold, how to make Japanese curry from SCRATCH! There are two parts to making Japanese curry from scratch. An essential part of it is making high quality beef stock.
Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch) step by step
- Heat 2 Tbsp of cooking oil in a wok until hot and dry the onions until it is fragrant and translucent. Then add the apples and caramelise them for 2-3 minutes..
- Then add the beef, mix well and cook them until the beef is brown all over. Then add in the potatoes, Celery, carrots and stir fry them for 1 minutes. Add stock/water as well as 1 Tbsp of curry powder and let it cook until veggies and beef are tender..
- Meanwhile, in another wok, and in bitter and flour, mix well and cook them to a smooth consistency (try not to let the butter become brown). Add the S&B Curry Powder and Katsu sauce and mix well. Lastly add the stock and mix it to smooth consistency again..
- Add the Curry Roux to the Beef and Veggie broth and then mix well. Season with Salt and then serve..
Savory and hearty Japanese beef curry made with beef, potatoes, carrots, mushroom, and Japanese curry roux. The flavor of Japanese curry is quite different from Indian or Thai curry. Japanese curry (or kare, as it's called in Japan) is one of the nation's most popular convenience and comfort foods. Most renditions come straight from a package, but by making it from scratch at home, you can get better, fresher, and bolder spice flavors throughout. The curry is made by sauteing onions and then adding a protein (such as chicken, pork, or beef), carrots and potatoes along with water before cooking it until the meat and potatoes are tender.