Mini Corn Dogs recipe. Mix the cornmeal, self-raising flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and buttermilk. Dunk flour battered hot dogs into corn dog batter by using a fork.
Fold each dough circle over a hot dog and press edges to seal. Line a plate with paper towels. Dip each hot dog in the batter until it's completely coated, lightly shake off the excess then lower it into the hot oil. You can have Mini Corn Dogs recipe using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mini Corn Dogs recipe
- It’s 4-5 of hot dogs (I used chicken) + 4 – 5 bamboo skewers.
- It’s 3/4 cup of fine yellow cornmeal.
- You need 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/8 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 1 of medium sized egg.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract/ 1/2 tbsp maple syrup.
- You need of Vegetable oil, for frying.
Repeat the breading and frying process with the remaining hot dogs. Place the cornflour in a small bowl. Dredge the hot dogs in cornstarch, gently tapping off the excess. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar.
Mini Corn Dogs recipe instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all the dry ingredients and sugar and whisk together..
- In a separate small bowl add in all the wet ingredients and whisk that thoroughly to combine..
- Add in the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk till combined and there are no lumps..
- For easy dipping, transfer the batter to a tall glass. At this point, you can cover the glass with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 32 hours before using..
- Next, half the hot dogs and using a paper tissue/towel, pat dry the hot dogs, this will make the corn batter stick better..
- Insert the bamboo skewers into the hot dogs..
- Heat enough oil in a saucepan, when a piece of onion fries, when you put it in the oil, the oil is ready..
- Dip the hot dogs in the corn batter, swirling to evenly coat..
- Hold the corn dog in an angle in the oil for afew seconds before dropping it in the oil. This method prevents the corn dogs from bursting open. Fry at most 3 at a time, reduce the heat if necessary..
- With thongs, rotate them in the oil and fry for about 7 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the hot dogs..
- The corn dogs are ready! Serve with ketchup (check out my homemade ketchup recipe, link above.) or mustard. Enjoy!.
How To Make Mini Corn Dogs Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. In medium bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and red pepper. Let the mini corn dogs rest in the pan a few minutes before removing. You will also want to grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside until ready to fill. In a bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, egg, melted butter, and milk.