Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Great recipe for Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲.
Today we will prepare Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 for my friends. Tex's Mam's… Continue reading Lets Prepare Tasty Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 Mam's, Potatoes, Scalloped, Tex's, 🇮🇩 British Food. Parmesan, then again – finish with Parmesan which will brown up nicely – & milk just to the edge of the top layer. You can have Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲
- You need 4 of large potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards), peeled.
- You need 1 1/2 of large onions.
- You need 6-9 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, or 3-6 of smoked back bacon.
- It’s As needed of hot water to cover.
- You need 2 of beef OXO stock cubes.
- Prepare to taste of plenty of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of oil.
- You need to taste of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
I don't bother heating it up either. Pop in the oven (on a baking sheet to catch. Thinly slice potatoes, cover with cold water and set aside. Stir in flour until no lumps remain, add milk and whisk until combined.
Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 instructions
- Scallop the potatoes by slicing to about 9mm (⅜" on a mandolin) thick. Chop some of the smaller pieces so they'll beak down during cooking and thicken the gravy. Halve the onions, and slice to the same thickness..
- Take a stock pot and brown one side of the bacon in the oil. When you turn to brown the other side, add the onion and cook until softened.
- Tip the potatoes in to the pan and add enough hot water to not quite cover (about 6mm/¼ inch) below the surface of the potatoes.
- Crumble in the stock cubes, and add the Worcestershire sauce and salt. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to a nice simmer.
- Simmer the potatoes, bacon and onions for about 25-30 minutes, uncovered.
- Check the taste and consistency of the potatoes and adjust if necessary, by cooking longer, or adding additional water. Stir well.
- Reduce down until there's as little gravy left as possible. Drain some away if necessary first, so that you end up with small amount of concentrated flavoursome juice after reduction.
- Remove from the heat and leave the pot to cool slowly, uncovered. This will allow the gravy time to slowly thicken as moisture evaporates leaving the starch behind..
- When ready to serve, season with salt and pepper. Reheat on the hob or in the microwave.
- Serve with pickled red cabbage, pickled beetroot, and crusty bread.
I don't often brag about my cooking, but I have to say that this is the best Scalloped Potato Recipe you will ever find. While I am usually highly critical of my own cooking, this is one dish I can confidently. Homemade Scalloped Potatoes are on of my favorite side dishes! This recipe is loaded with fresh garlic, thyme, cheddar cheese and an amazing cream sauce. It's all layered with thinly sliced tender russet potatoes.