BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Cook beef stew in a slow cooker for really tender meat. Beef stew and dumplings. by Nigel Slater.
Mix until all the beef is covered. Allow meat and cornstarch mix to sit on the counter for an hour. Meanwhile, toss the meat in a little seasoned flour, then add it to the pan with all the vegetables, the tomato purée, wine and stock, then gently stir together. You can have BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE using 14 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE
- Prepare 2 lb of Beef.
- Prepare 1 medium of Onion.
- You need 1/2 cup of Flour.
- Prepare 3 cup of Water.
- It’s 2 can of Stewed Tomatoes.
- It’s 1 can of Cut Green Beans.
- It’s 2 of Stalks of Celery.
- You need 2 cup of Baby Carrots.
- You need 3 large of Potatoes.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of Black Pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- It’s 2 of Bay Leaves – Optional.
For the beef stew, heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef until browned on all sides. In an oven-safe Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in oil; drain. Return all meat to the pan. Add onions, tomatoes, broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
BEEF STEW – OLD RECIPE instructions
- Cut the beef length wise with a knife, then slice each piece into bite sized pieces with the scissors. (I use steak or roast).
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and flour before browning it in cooking oil in a medium high skillet..
- After browning beef, sprinkle lightly with flour again and continue to stir and brown..
- Add one cup water to browned meat and stir. This will make a nice brown gravy base for your stew..
- Chop onion and add to gravy base in skillet. Simmer a minute or two. No need to fully cook onion at this point. Then pour into large crockpot..
- Add the undrained tomatoes and undrained green beans to the crockpot..
- Cut baby carrots lengthwise in half. The bigger ones can be quartered lengthwise..
- Slice celery into small bite sized pieces and add to crockpot..
- Choose 3 large potatoes for the stew. (Baker Size) Quarter potatoes lengthwise, save two quarters back, and then slice the rest into normal bite sized pieces. Add to crockpot..
- Cut saved quarters of potatoes into tiny pieces..
- Add last bit of potatoes to crockpot. Then season stew with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and worcestershire sauce and stir well..
- Add 2 Cups of Water to crockpot and stir stew again. Let cook on high crockpot setting for 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours. Cooking time really depends on how you like your vegetables cooked..
The Ingredients in Classic Stovetop Beef Stew The ingredients are the usual suspects – beef chuck roast, baby potatoes, celery, carrots, frozen peas, onion, garlic, and a little fresh Italian parsley. You'll also need a few dry seasonings (detailed below). Clean out the frying pan and fry the beef in the remaining oil in batches until it is well browned, then tip each batch into the slow cooker. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil. Add the onion, water, seasoned salt, pepper and salt if desired; bring to a boil.