Dad's Rouladen. My dad use to make this German dish when I was little. It's been an all time favorite ever since. Place bacon, onions and pickle slices on each.
Drizzle mustard the length of the meat and smear it all over the face of the meat with a knife. Mix onion and bacon in a small bowl. Do not crowd rouladen in skillet, or they will not brown nicely. You can cook Dad's Rouladen using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Dad's Rouladen
- Prepare 5 slice of thin slice top round steak.
- Prepare 5 of pickle spears.
- Prepare 10 slice of lean bacon.
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 2 packages of brown gravy.
Do in small batches if necessary. Return all rouladen and any accumulated juices to skillet, bring to simmer and cover. Roll up jelly roll style and secure with wooden toothpicks. Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the rouladen and brown well on all sides.
Dad's Rouladen instructions
- Wrap bacon around pickle spears.
- Wrap steak around bacon wrapped pickle spears and secure with toothpicks.
- Cook on medium heat turning until cooked throughout.
- Add gravy packets to pan and let meat, juices and gravy simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Remove rolls from gravy and cut into about inch size rolls, add additional toothpicks if needed.
- Serve with gravy and enjoy.
Pour in the broth and add the peppercorns and bay leaf. Rouladen are made by spreading some German mustard on thinly cut slices of beef, adding bacon, sliced German pickles and chopped onions. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and roll them up, securing the rolls with toothpicks or cooking twine. Next you generously fry the rouladen in oil until they're nicely browned on all sides. They're then removed and set aside so you can saute the onions and vegetables for the gravy.