Egg Tart. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Check Out Egg Tarts on eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color today! For the custard filling, warm the milk in a saucepan, and beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a separate bowl until pale and creamy.
Strain custard into a jug, allow to settle for a few mins, then skim off any froth. For the pastry, in a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, and salt. Bring the mixture together with your hands, careful not to knead the pastry dough too much or you will make the pastry tough. You can cook Egg Tart using 12 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Egg Tart
- It’s of Crust.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cold butter.
- It’s 9 tablespoon of flour.
- You need 4 tablespoon of water.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of Filling.
- Prepare 37 g of sugar.
- It’s 37 g of hot water.
- You need 1 of egg.
- You need 62 ml of milk.
- You need of vanilla.
- Prepare of salt.
There are two types of Hong Kong egg tarts. One is with shortcrust pastry and the other is by using the Chinese puff pastry. The best Hong Kong egg tarts are made from the Chinese puff pastry, which is slightly different from the western puff pastry. This pastry is less oily than the western version with a more floury flavor.
Egg Tart step by step
- For filling; firstly dissolve sugar in hot water..
- Beat egg with milk, vanilla and salt..
- Mix in sugar water..
- Sift the mixture..
- For crust; firstly use hand to incorporate flour with cold butter..
- Add in a few tablespoons of water until the dough form into a ball..
- If the dough is too dry, add water. If the dough is too wet, add flour..
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 10mins..
- Fit it in mould and use fork to poke holes to let the air escape..
- Pour filling into crust..
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°c for 30 minutes..
For the shortbread base, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then mix in the flour. If you've ever been to Portugal, you know that one of the greatest pastries to binge-eat there is the Portuguese egg tart: its crisp, flaky crust holding a creamy custard center, blistered on top. Assemble the Tart Pour the egg and cream mixture through a sieve into the pastry case. Sprinkle with the grated nutmeg, making a generous, even layer. Lightly grease the bottom of the cake tin with butter.