German Chocolate Sheet Cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting. Combine evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in a large saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Mix the frosting until cooled but still spreadable.
It's a tower of delicious homemade German Chocolate Cake that will make eyes go wide when you add it to the table. This dessert reaches new heights as the must-make cake for every celebration. Combine the evaporated milk with sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. You can cook German Chocolate Sheet Cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of German Chocolate Sheet Cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Prepare 2 Cups of Flour.
- It’s 2 Cups of Sugar.
- It’s 1/2 Cup of Butter.
- Prepare 1 Cup of Water.
- You need 4 oz of Baking Chocolate (I used 1/4 c Cocoa Powder and 4 tsp oil).
- It’s 1/2 Cup of Shortening.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Buttermilk (I used 1/2 Cup Vanilla Yogurt).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.
- Prepare 2 of Eggs.
- It’s 1 tsp of Vanilla.
- It’s of ~*Icing Ingredients*~*.
- It’s 1 Cup of Evaporated Milk.
- You need 1 Cup of Sugar.
- It’s 3 of Egg Yolks.
- You need 1/2 Cup of Butter.
- It’s 1 1/3 Cup of Sweetened Shredded Coconut.
- You need 1 Cup of Chopped Pecans.
- It’s 1 tsp of Vanilla.
Add the coconut and pecans and beat until slightly cooled and easy to spread. Set the cake on a wire rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the chocolate ganache over the cake, letting the excess drip down the sides. Sprinkle the top with toasted coconut and pecans.
German Chocolate Sheet Cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F..
- Spray a 15x10x1 inch baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside..
- In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and sugar. Set aside..
- In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water, German Chocolate baking chocolate and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine..
- Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition..
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- ~*Frosting Directions*~*.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat combine milk, sugar egg yolks, and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly for about 12 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and add coconut and pecans. Stir in vanilla. Spread over cake evenly and drizzle with hot fudge..
- FOR BEST RESULTS Put in Freezer for 30 minutes after frosting the cake. It will cool the icing but the cake will be slightly warm and melt in your mouth.
FOR THE FROSTING: Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and add coconut and pecans. This cake is not for people watching their calories or fat!! The recipe came from the Kraft website, and from a recipe I found on the side of a bar of baking chocolate. I made this cake for my parent's birthdays and it was a big hit.